Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Road to Lindsey TH vs Capital Peak TH?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Road to Lindsey TH vs Capital Peak TH?

Postby slaggbottom » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm planning to hit Lindsey this weekend (standard route), and have read that many Outbacks make it up to the TH, and peoplel *think* a passenger car could make it, but I was wondering if anyone has actually driven a passenger car all the way up there? I have a VW Golf, and I did make it up to Capital Peak's TH 3 years ago in it, but that wasn't all too fun. :-). I read that someone took a passenger car up to ~.5 miles before the TH. Would mid Sept mean the road is more stable, less wet/muddy, and better to drive?

Thanks,
-Matt
My Trip Reports: http://matt.tracz.org

Re: Road to Lindsey TH vs Capital Peak TH?

Postby The Turtle » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:28 pm

We were up there last Friday, Sept. 11 to climb Lindsey. We were in a 2008 4 Runner and has no problems. In the conditions that day 4 wheel drive would not be needed. I would not have any problem taking my Mercedes AWD up there. If I had a front wheel drive car I would have made it up to the TH last Friday. If your'e experienced with that kind of driving you should be able to make it. Take it slow. It took over an hour to get to the TH from Walsenberg. The road is fine to Singing River Ranch, it get's a little rougher after there. We met a front wheel drive car pulling a trailer farther up the road from the ranch on our way down.

Good Luck, I think I met you on Lovenland Pass last August, so I know what you are driving
The Turtle

Postby bergsteigen » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:32 pm

Just drove the road this past weekend, and Capitol a month or so ago. I have a Toyota Tacoma TRD, and had lots of fun hitting huge mud puddles. The roughest section is just past the Aspen Ranch (I think that is the name). It lasts for about a mile, then the road improves greatly. There are a few rocky/steeper sections, but I *think* the road is wide enough that you can get around most of it. The mud puddles should be easy enough to avoid as well.

BUT as I don't know how much ground clearance a VW Golf has, I can't fully attest to whether you can make it all the way to the TH. Maybe someone else can comment more, I can only give current conditions I guess.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games."
- Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)

http://otinasadventures.com

Postby mtnjam » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:45 pm

We had no trouble with a Honda Element. I thought that it was easier than the road to Capital Peak TH. On our way to Lindsey we had a friend following us in a small Kia rental. She said she had no trouble. There were some large puddles but they were not very deep.
Good luck.

Postby pkpzp228 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:39 pm

I tried to drive a lexus sedan up the road to Lindsey but turned back within the first quarter mile past the last ranch gates, or rather back out. I believe this is where the road is described as 4wd. After walking up the road I found that most of the way would have been passable in a passenger car but the few parts (rocky at the start, rolling at the end) were not. BTW Thanks to all the snobs driving in their super duper 4wd's that drove passed my thumb on the walk in and out.

In comparison, I did drive my sedan all the way to the capitol TH and wouldn't do it again. It was doable but by far the most stressful part of the entire trip.

Postby pkpzp228 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:50 pm

Postby slaggbottom » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:24 pm

Yeah, impressive. Decided on taking my friends Jeep for the trip, which eliminates any anxiety over the road, plus our group of 3 fits much better in that vehicle. Planning to head up there Friday evening, and make an attempt Saturday. Hopefully conditions on the NW ridge will be non-icy. Weather looks good Friday and Saturday, so hopefully the sun will dry it up tomorrow...
-matt
My Trip Reports: http://matt.tracz.org

Postby hurdles » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:32 pm

i drove my subaru forrester in to lindsey about 2 weeks ago, 2 yrs ago we could not get it over one hump but that has all been taken care of. i think a 2 wheel drive would probably make it. i have been on worse with a totyota corolla wagon i use to drive.
that being said it is a little bumpy and roughish in places.
“The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.”
Richard L. Evans