Forum
Your purchase of a synthetic or cotton shirt helps support 14ers.com. Thank you!

Other ways to help...

Looking for camping near Redcloud

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc. Trailhead Info/Status Reports

Looking for camping near Redcloud

Postby summitrider » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:53 pm

I was wondering if any one knew of decent free camping near Redcloud/ Sunshine. I'm coming from Silverthorne in a raised Tacoma and will be pulling an off road pop up. Plenty of clearance but not looking to really off road with it. I saw Mill Creek campground, but was hopeing for something a bit off the path. I've never been to this area so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Looking for camping near Redcloud

Postby Jim Davies » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Silverthorne or Silverton?

There's lots of good free camping near the Silver Creek/Grizzly Creek TH.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby acidchylde » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:38 pm

If you are coming in from the Lake City side, there are a number of places along the road to set up your trailer, both before, near, and after the trailhead in Grizzly Gulch all the way up to American Basin. You won't get *far* off the road, but it won't be a campground. I would not go past the American Basin fork going up toward the pass, however, nor would I attempt to come over Cinnamon Pass from Silverton pulling a trailer. There are some switchbacks on the east side that would be nasty with a trailer, if even doable. The last couple of spots I would suggest would be just up the American Basin from the fork, though it's around 20 minutes back down to the Grizzly trailhead from there.

Postby ketel1 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:42 pm

I have a great spot just before the TH that requires pictures to show it's location. If you are interested, PM me. It is a road that is adjacent the creek, but requires a high clearance vehicle to get to it-and I mean only going over one hump.
Beth
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable." ~Christopher Reeve

Postby joens » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:09 am

When we camped near silvercreek/grizzly gulch we had a small trailer for all the boy scouts gear and the USFS ranger told us trailers were not allowed that far up the road and we had to take the trailer back down to a parking area closer to lake city.I dont know if they would have a problem with a pop-up camper or not . or if they were mainly worried about something that could possibly be used to haul 4-wheelers.
Chris Joens

Postby summitrider » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:26 pm

Thanks so much for the information. I am headed down from Silverthorne Sat. morning and will be going through Lake City. Now...hopefully the weather will hold out for this weekend [-o<

Postby Barrett Cooper » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:15 pm

Not free but BLM sites are really cheap. Plus you get a picnic table, fire pit and pit toilet (at least it is something). The gate is my favorite near lake city, but Mill Creek is the best for Redcloud as it is right down the road before it gets a bit rougher. Just down the road and $7 a night. Also, no problems getting my popup in to either.

http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/gfo/recreation_information/camps.html
http://www.blm.gov/co/st/en/fo/gfo/recreation_information/campmap.html