Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Camping near Aspen

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Camping near Aspen

Postby Tab » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:12 am

I always camp at the far south end of Castle Creek road. Go south from the round about just west of Aspen, and follow it until it turns into dirt. This is the trailhead for Caltle Peak. There are several forest/dispersed campsites along the first mile or so of this road. Free, good sites, good times.

Postby fletchersteel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:57 pm

Drove over Independence Pass yesterday and all the campsites on the Leadville side were already locked and closed for the season. The Aspen side campgrounds were still open, as were the 3 campgrounds within the Maroon Bells recreation area.
"A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it." — Martin Conway

Postby sarahw » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:40 pm

Sounds like you had a great trip! Did you happen to be in the Maroon Bells area and perhaps note the amount of snow up on the peaks, or take any photos you could send me? I'm really itching to head up there one more time this season but am hedging because of the recent snowstorms.

Postby fletchersteel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:10 pm

sarahw, we did take some, but my wife has not loaded them onto her computer yet. Hopefully when she gets home this evening she will, I'm a little anxious to see them myself. I'll pm you when she does. As far as snow goes, from what I could tell, the closer one gets to the continental divide, the more snow there is. The bells had a dusting on them, as did pyramid. I'd guess somewhere in the less than 3" range. The mountains at the head of castle creek valley, from the aspen roundabout, was covered pretty thick around noon yesterday. Also, the peaks around independence pass, north aspects, were completely covered. Kinda weird, we drove up Cottonwood pass late afternoon, and zero snow over there. Are you still planning on pyramid this week? I am considering Castle on saturday, but the forecast is calling for a pretty good storm late this week.http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.0094736980503&lon=-106.86264038085938&site=gjt&smap=1&marine=0&unit=0&lg=en
"A man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him and leaving something of himself upon it." — Martin Conway

Previous