Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Huerfano/Lily Lake and Clear Creek/S. Winfield

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Huerfano/Lily Lake and Clear Creek/S. Winfield

Postby huffy13 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:34 pm

The road to Mt. Lindsey's trailhead is described as being 4WD beyond the ranches, I was able to make it all the way to the trailhead in a stock 2WD Chevy Silverado short/wide. My question is for those who have done both this road and also the road from Winfield to the Huron Peak trailhead, how does the Huron Peak road compare to the road to the Huerfano/Lily Lake trailhead for Mt. Lindsey? I am just wondering since I am taking my two older kiddos up there in a couple of weeks and I don't want to start up the road and end up getting into some really bad stuff. I did not really think that the road for Mt. Lindsey was bad at all but I do realize that it may have been in much better shape now than it usually is. Plus, there hasn't been an update on the trailhead status page for Winfield in several months. Thanks for any info!
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Re: Huerfano/Lily Lake and Clear Creek/S. Winfield

Postby gdthomas » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:44 pm

You won't make it to the Huron TH in a 2WD vehicle so by process of elimination its harder than the Huerfano/Lily Lake TH road.

Postby huffy13 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 pm

gdthomas wrote:You won't make it to the Huron TH in a 2WD vehicle so by process of elimination its harder than the Huerfano/Lily Lake TH road.

It doesn't get any more straightforward than that. That is exactly what I needed to know. We don't mind the extra 4 miles round-trip, I was just curious. Is it a fairly scenic hike on the road? Last Sept. we did the Grizzly Gulch ascent/American Basin descent loop on Handies and it was great, it was around 11.5 to 12 miles before it was all said and done but worth every step.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.

Postby abqben56 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:42 pm

huffy13 wrote:
gdthomas wrote:You won't make it to the Huron TH in a 2WD vehicle so by process of elimination its harder than the Huerfano/Lily Lake TH road.

It doesn't get any more straightforward than that. That is exactly what I needed to know. We don't mind the extra 4 miles round-trip, I was just curious. Is it a fairly scenic hike on the road? Last Sept. we did the Grizzly Gulch ascent/American Basin descent loop on Handies and it was great, it was around 11.5 to 12 miles before it was all said and done but worth every step.

It is, at least once you get out of the trees, maybe halfway to the TH. It's also almost flat and not too rocky, so you can make good time. If you have time on your return, you can also stop by the remains of the mine close to the TH.

Postby huffy13 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:10 pm

sounds cool.

Postby J-RockandRockpile » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:44 pm

When I drove up to the Huron TH I did not have to put my truck into 4 wheel. I have a Tacoma and managed to make it to the trailhead in 2 wheel the entire way. The biggest worry on that stretch of road for me would be ground clearence.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good

Postby huffy13 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:54 am

J-RockandRockpile wrote:When I drove up to the Huron TH I did not have to put my truck into 4 wheel. I have a Tacoma and managed to make it to the trailhead in 2 wheel the entire way. The biggest worry on that stretch of road for me would be ground clearence.

My Chevy is stock, no lift kits or anything, about 12-14 inches of clearance...probably not enough.

Postby TerryLiv » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:20 pm

I drove in during the night and didn't hit any rocks about 3 years ago, in a Toyota Highlander with 7.5" of clearance. Coming out in the daylight I barely bumped one rock that I thought was marginal. My guess is that if you measured the lowest spot of your truck you would find it is lower than 12-14".

Postby huffy13 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:36 am

You are right....about 8 inches on the flat surface of my driveway. I got to thinking about that not long after I posted and thought I had better do a better analysis. We are actually looking forward to the extra mileage anyhow.