Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Antero 4WD/Jeep Road

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Antero 4WD/Jeep Road

Postby MountainHiker » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Right of way? The driver who can pull over easiest does so or he loses all karma. I pull over whenever I can. However I wouldn’t risk my vehicle with a questionable pullover just because the other driver felt I he didn’t need to because of right away. I would turn it off and go have a leak while they thought about it first. That has yet to come up because most drivers, me included, will pullover first into a good spot if it’s there for them. I’ve also had modified 4WDs happily pull into places I couldn’t to let me by.

As for the Antero Road. I drove my stock Wrangler Unlimited up that road to just past the stream crossing earlier this summer. There’s a few spots to be careful and low range is a good thing. It was fairly consistent though. It’s not like there’s a Jaws or anything that’s a stopping point.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby rijaca » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Obviously, common courtesy generally resolves any issues. As does driving narrow roads with an eye to potential 'pinch points', and wide spots in the event of encounters with other vehicles.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Mark A Steiner » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:24 pm

The same measure of courtesy should be extended along certain narrow stretches of Engineer and Cinnamon Passes which are used fairly heavily this time of year; ATV's, quads etc.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby FOGSUM » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:45 am

Does anyone have an experience or opinion if a Suburban will make it up this road?

Thanks!

Postby Tigerbear » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:27 am

yes a suburban will make it. A subarau could make it with an experienced driver!
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...

Postby nyker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:39 am

Question about the access to the trailhead/road for this road to Antero:

Is the worse case scenario similar to Mt. Princeton, where if you don't drive up the road, you park the car at
the base and hike up, which in the case of Antero, makes it a +5200ft gain, 13mi
roundtrip hike to the summit from parking area?

Postby Tigerbear » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:49 am

YES.....
people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but they will never forget how you made them feel...

Postby Weegie5 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:46 am

I've driven my stock Jeep Liberty up there twice before and camped at about 11,200'. A couple scrapes on the way down, but nothing damaging.

I'm planning on dragging some flatlanders up there in a couple weeks and driving as high as I can (13,600' if I can make it) to shorten it as much as possible.
~James

Postby nyker » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:24 am

ok thanks. That's not too bad.
Looks like a cool road to take an ATV on.

Postby Shasta Locales » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:24 am

rijaca wrote:If you're going up there to climb Antero, why would you want to drive any higher than the creek crossing at 10,800'. Plenty of places to park/camp there, and an 'easy' hike to the summit from there. The Tundra would have no problems getting there, therefore all the other issues are moot.

I've got a similar situation - we have a 2000 4Runner. From this point - the creek crossing - about how long (mileage) would be the hike? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Postby JosephG » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:05 am

About 3.5 miles to the summit.
If you go on a weekday, you'll (probably) have fewer ATVs/4WDs passing you as you hike.

Postby wyman » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:15 pm

How far up the baldwin gulch road will my subaru outback make it?

PreviousNext