Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Antero 4WD/Jeep Road

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Antero 4WD/Jeep Road

Postby dmccool » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:39 am

Can anyone briefly describe this road? I have a 4WD Tundra. What are the chances of getting up the road?

Thanks
Save a place for me up in the high country.
There's still space to breathe.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Re: Antero 4WD/Jeep Road

Postby weschun » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:46 am

Last summer I didn't have any problems in my 97 stock Land Rover. I didn't think it was as bad as reported in the route info here. Your biggest problem is trying not to hit all the ATV riders.
I'm striving to be the man my dog thinks I am.

Postby fahixson » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:07 pm

Drove up Jeep road to treeline in an 04 GMC Denali (AWD pick-up truck) three weeks ago. Road wasn't terrible, but we did get a flat on the way down (hole in the sidewall). We saw one other truck with a flat too, so be sure to have a spare. Give yourself plenty of time too. It's a slow drive.

Postby kimo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:27 pm

Not sure how far up you plan to drive. The lower road bed is solid but rough. The upper road (above treeline) is narrow but the road bed is sound. A compact truck or utility vehicle can make it. True 4LO gearing would be of great assist. The biggest obstacle is exposure. Success here depends on the driver, not the vehicle. (A recent thread has a photo of Grand Cherokee that slipped off the upper trail. I don't know the story but I am convinced that was driver error - maybe got too close to the edge to allow an ATV to pass.)

Trip report showing photos of upper road:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5483&parmuser=kimo&cpgm=tripmain
Last edited by kimo on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Greenhouseguy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:25 pm

A Tundra would be ideal for the lower part of the road, but it would be uncomfortably long for the tight switchbacks on the upper road.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston

Postby kimo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:36 pm

I was picturing the first/second generation mid-size Tundra. That would likely do okay on the upper section. Greenhouseguy is absolutely correct - the new generation full-size Tundra would be a big vehicle to manuever on the upper section of road, especially the upper switchbacks.

Postby rijaca » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:40 pm

If you're going up there to climb Antero, why would you want to drive any higher than the creek crossing at 10,800'. Plenty of places to park/camp there, and an 'easy' hike to the summit from there. The Tundra would have no problems getting there, therefore all the other issues are moot.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby dmccool » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:40 pm

i have a 2000 model tundra. even if i don't make it up all the way, are there parking spots higher up on the road? what about turn-offs to let ATV's through? i'll probably drive it very early in the AM to avoid traffic. Thanks

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby dmccool » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:45 pm

yeah, i do plan on climbing/hiking. i'm just not familiar with the route. 10,800 is a fine place to start in my opinion. i just don't want to hike up a road for 3-4 miles both ways.

- Gregory Alan Isakov

Postby rijaca » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:12 pm

Well, the Baldwin Gulch route goes up the 4wd road to 13k before heading up the sw ridge.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Postby Gabriel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:37 pm

I drove a stock 4wd Ford f-150 to the end of the road at about 13,500 last week. Your Tundra should be fine.

G

Postby larkinrx2 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:53 pm

heres a pic from last july
download/file.php?id=2423
the truck will make it, just be careful on the lower half until the first stream crossing with the back end bouncing around
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Next