Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Leadville lunch/dinner suggestions?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Leadville lunch/dinner suggestions?

Postby tress » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:32 am

Not directed at anyone...

it's not strange for Businesses to be closed in some small towns in CO from time to time. Salida is no different,,,,,obviously they are in the businesses to make money to some degree but they also want to go out and enjoy the outdoors, which I believe is way cool. We always have tourists complaining, writing articles to our local newspaper that they were mad that our/some movie theatre, art shops, food joints were closed when they came to visit but most of these shops employees consist of the owners family and thats it and they need vactions as well. Sorry to rant but I can't stand when people move to a small town from a big city then try to change the town to meet their big city needs.

Again someone stated in a previous post about it being strange for businesses to be closed just trying to help you/anyone understand why that might be.

Postby cbauer10 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:59 am

tress wrote:Not directed at anyone...

it's not strange for Businesses to be closed in some small towns in CO from time to time. Salida is no different,,,,,obviously they are in the businesses to make money to some degree but they also want to go out and enjoy the outdoors, which I believe is way cool. We always have tourists complaining, writing articles to our local newspaper that they were mad that our/some movie theatre, art shops, food joints were closed when they came to visit but most of these shops employees consist of the owners family and thats it and they need vactions as well. Sorry to rant but I can't stand when people move to a small town from a big city then try to change the town to meet their big city needs.

Again someone stated in a previous post about it being strange for businesses to be closed just trying to help you/anyone understand why that might be.

I agree!!! I hope to be one of those business owners in a small town some day and that is how it works in towns like that. You know stores used to be closed on Sundays. I wish it were still that way. Then people would pay attention to their families and not shop themselves into debt. Plus people would always have at least one regular day off a week.

Postby brett.t.burch » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:28 pm

I ate at Doc Holliday’s Bar and Grill recently when passing through after camping around Winfield. It's a fairly new place. I thought the food was good... stuck to the ribs after a long day.

Postby rrk » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:06 pm

Tennessee Pass Cafe is the best place to eat in Leadville, hands down, IMHO, though it can be pricey. Tasty, healthy foods. Used to be some good eats just down the hill in that Stringtown "suburb" of Leadville, but, alas, I think they're both gone now.

I'm puzzled by the Golden Burro recommendations. I thought it was pretty dicey, but I'll admit that I base that on one visit 7-8 years ago. Service and food both dubious on that day. Either they've improved, or people are getting less picky.

If you don't like surprises, I guess there's always the Pizza Hut on the north end of town!

Postby rockchalker » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:01 pm

I agree with several, Tennessee Pass has great service and great food.
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Postby screeman57 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:06 pm

The only decent experiences I've had at Golden Burro have been for breakfast--3 terrible meals there for lunch and dinner.
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby xcrunner365 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:29 pm

I would reccomend High Mountain Pies off of Harrison Avenue. One of the better pizzas I've had.

Postby Mel McKinney » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:23 am

Reading through this old thread I saw that Rosie's was mentioned a few times. Too bad it closed a few years ago. I hope Leadville gets a brewpub again!

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2009/06/colorados_highest-altitude_bre.php
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

Postby geol_climber » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 pm

The Grille is the best mexican food in the whole Ark Valley. Plus 2 for 1 PBRs and a great Salsa. My two cents, for what its worth.

Postby alpenglow » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Tennessee Pass Cafe...hands down.

Postby cbauer10 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:03 am

geol_climber wrote:The Grille is the best mexican food in the whole Ark Valley. Plus 2 for 1 PBRs and a great Salsa. My two cents, for what its worth.

Don't take this recommendation. My mother in law grew up in Leadville and loves this place, but it must be nostalgic for her because it is like barf on a plate. Plus it has the 2nd worst service west of the Mississippi only beat out by the Coyote Catina in Johnson's Village near Buena Vista. It takes nearly an hour to get Mexican food when the place is empty. I would say that is generally a good thing in a Mexican restaurant where food is usually just sitting in a bucket waiting to be served, but you can tell it is no where close to being prepared fresh. Just be warned. I guess this place has its fans though.

geol_climber is right on the salsa though. It is good. So if you just want chips and salsa this is your place. It is really soupy though, so you have to like that kind of salsa. Flavor is good though.

Postby screeman57 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:34 am

cbauer10 wrote:the Coyote Catina in Johnson's Village near Buena Vista.

That place is horrible
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

PreviousNext