Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Leadville lunch/dinner suggestions?

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Leadville lunch/dinner suggestions?

Postby PatsSox09 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:09 pm

Tennessee Pass Cafe...get their special lasagna (I forget the details, but it had italian sausage, bacon, and chicken, I think)

Postby joe4186 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:43 pm

rosie's for sure
http://friendsofcaic.org/

Go Big or Go Home

"anything worth doing, its worth doing right"

Postby Solo+1 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:50 am

Being born in Leadville way back in the year 1957, Wow,that was a LONG time ago, we always ate at the Golden Burro. Lots of good memories, food, and laughter. I ate there earlier this year when I climbed Massive. Had the chicken fried steak. That is exactly what this body needed after a long day in the mountains. It was nice to reminisce. So my obvious vote would have to be the Golden Burro. :D

Postby roozers42 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:20 pm

I'll also put in a recommendation for The Grill - they use some really nice chili's in their sauces, quite good. Don't go to Coyote Cantina, terrible service and the food is pretty awful. I'm going to try Rosie's after hearing all these rave reviews!
Marmot Picture taken by David Worthington, 7/3/06

Postby My-Therapy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:04 pm

Thank You for everyone's suggestions. We ate at Rosie's today and it really hit the spot! Some of the best burgers we have ever had.

Postby McClelland » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:25 pm

If you like food that taste like it came out of a can, go to Rosie's. Otherwise go to the Grille!

Postby Wish I lived in CO » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:30 am

To me the Golden Burro food is halfway between "diner" food and dinner restaraunt food. But that's a good thing, to me just what you want after climbing for 6 or 8 hrs, meat and good mashed potatoes. It's a step up from burgers and sandwitches (diner food), but you wouldn't say it is fine dining with an exotic menu.

As for the rest of the town, I tried to see what else was out there but nothing ever seemed to be open for the 4 days or so I was in Leadville this last July (either only open on weekends, or not open until 4 pm - I'd only eat out one meal a day around 2 or 3 or something). Strange. I think the bar restaurant that the others mentioned was open.
I look up to the mountains - does my help come from there? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth! Psalm 121:1-2

Postby cbauer10 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:26 am

lostsheep5 wrote:The Coyote Cantina its in Johnson village barely south of buena vista.

That place is terrible!!! DO NOT EAT THERE!!! The food is like it was cooked in a garbage can and they will not serve you for sh*t!!! We have been there twice and both times were ignored for 30 minutes before they took our order. They don't seem to care at all. Plus that is not really the area you were looking to eat at.

Nothing can beat Quincy's! I will admit the Buena Vista Quincy's is better, but the Leadville one is the same food, just a little less atmosphere. They only serve prime rib Thursday thru Saturday and fillet mignon Sunday thru Wednesday, and it is to die for. Some of the best meat I have ever had. It is really good.

Postby Jon Frohlich » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:48 am

Coyote Cantina has really gone downhill the last few years and it was never great food so that's saying something. It used to at least be decent enough to hit the spot after a long hike and it was convienent but last year when I went it was just awful. Never did go this year. Sounds like I wasn't missing anything.

Rosie's is my favorite place in Leadville.

Postby Cruiser » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:15 am

I realize that this is all for nought at this point since the OP has already made his choice and gone out to eat. However, in defense of the Coyote Cantina I should note that they have $1 PBR Draft everyday! That's good enough for me.
Where ever you are... There you are.

Postby realhillboarding » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:22 am

Quincy's is really good for dinner. They only serve one thing each night, its either prime rib or filet mignon depending on which day is. You choose the size of the cut, it comes with a baked potato and salad, and its really cheap considering the quality of the food

Postby Mel McKinney » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:25 am

Cruiser wrote:I realize that this is all for nought at this point since the OP has already made his choice and gone out to eat. However, in defense of the Coyote Cantina I should note that they have $1 PBR Draft everyday! That's good enough for me.

Yeah, I love to talk about food and beer anyway. :iluvbeer:
I'll suggest Golden Burro and Tennessee Pass Cafe. Had a yummy breakfast at the Brass Ass last summer that truly hit the spot, the Cafe has a healthy, unusual (for Leadville) menu. There's a place on the main stretch that has a sign in the window advertising 2 for 1 PBRs, or something like that. Is that the Cantina?

Hope OP and his son had a good dinner!
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")

"Nothing is so embarrassing as watching someone do something that you said couldn't be done."
---Sam Ewing

PreviousNext