Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Top 5 tips for Chicago Basin

Trailhead conditions, directions, roads, parking, camping, etc. Trailhead Info/Status

Re: Top 5 tips for Chicago Basin

Postby a94buff » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:28 am

MountainMedic wrote:Eolus is the most underrated 14er I've done. It's loose and exposed, and I think way harder than it gets credit for. I'm surprised (but glad) there aren't more accidents on it. Go into it focused.

I thought it was pretty straightforward and solid as long as you're on route but also it's real easy to get off route and have to backtrack there. I agree it's a trickier mountain than I'd expected and I'm surprised people don't get pulled off it all the time. There's some really legit exposure there. I loved it.

Postby rockchalker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:37 am

A group of us are headed to Chicago Basin first week of September and will be taking the train from Durango with three nights in the Basin. Lots of great suggestions. I saw a comment that the cell phone coverage, at least in the basin itself, is non existent. Is there good satellite coverage for a SPOT Connect type of device?

Keep the great suggestions coming!
"Richness is defined not by who has the most but by who needs the least."

Postby a94buff » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:46 am

rockchalker wrote:A group of us are headed to Chicago Basin first week of September and will be taking the train from Durango with three nights in the Basin. Lots of great suggestions. I saw a comment that the cell phone coverage, at least in the basin itself, is non existent. Is there good satellite coverage for a SPOT Connect type of device?

Keep the great suggestions coming!

I was able to get 4G AT&T - albeit spotty - from the summits of Eolus and Sunlight. Enough to make a call home, and (unfortunately) for all my emails to pour in :x

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 pm

shearmodulus wrote:I tried to ski in from Purgatory Flats trailhead in January of last year. Simply amazing. I didn't make it all the way, but the solitude was just surreal.

The snow was terrible so I only made it 10 miles (just beyond the Needleton stop and the cabins there in the vicinity). And the day after I came out? Dumped 18 inches. Timing is everything. [-o<

Hey, can you provide a map/route of your trip? If you went down the canyon, how was it?

Thanks!

Postby leafmiles » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:29 pm

what's the deal with goin' #2 up there?

is there cover and soft ground to dig a privy in nearby?

after hearing about overcrowding in the basin, i'd imagine poo fields are an immediate consequence..

and managed accordingly

Postby wildlobo71 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:31 pm

leafmiles wrote:what's the deal with goin' #2 up there?

is there cover and soft ground to dig a privy in nearby?

after hearing about overcrowding in the basin, i'd imagine poo fields are an immediate consequence..

and managed accordingly

They have a version of blue-bags that are kept in the metal box when you register... carry out. But, most people are resistant to carrying those, so just find a nice area well away from the water, and dig a cat hole. Even the USFS volunteer up there to promote, among other things, the collection bag, said he hated it.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Previous