Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Lake Como

Arrange group travel to/from the peaks.

Lake Como

Postby dpage » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:11 pm

If anyone who happens to have room is driving past 2 hikers who are packing in from the 2WD TH on Saturday, feel free to stop and give us a lift as far as you're going up Lake Como RD. [-o<
It's our first trip into that area and I'm already not looking forward to the first part of our hike. Thanks in advance.

Re: Lake Como

Postby Exiled Michigander » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:55 am

Everyone really needs to "enjoy" hiking up the full length of Lake Como Road at least once . . . I would hate for anyone to rob you of such a rich experience. :lol:

Postby AWright » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Exiled Michigander wrote:Everyone really needs to "enjoy" hiking up the full length of Lake Como Road at least once . . . I would hate for anyone to rob you of such a rich experience. :lol:

If there was a "like" button, I would click it. Definitely a "rich" experience. lol

Postby dpage » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:54 pm

I've hiked up so many 14ers from 2WD that I shouldn't complain too much...but as I slog (just for you CarpeDM) up the Lake Como RD, I plan on stopping as I look towards the heavens, raise my fist and scream "DYBM."

Postby altidude » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:32 pm

I'll be doing the "Booty Sweat Boogie" up that POS road tomorrow too. Sure is more pleasant to hike that in the winter.
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe maƱana

Postby aaronmojica » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:21 pm

Como road is the best thing you can do for yourself! You will shed every unnecessary ounce from your pack, and (hopefully), learn a proper bear hang.

Postby mountain_man » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:33 pm

AWright wrote:
Exiled Michigander wrote:Everyone really needs to "enjoy" hiking up the full length of Lake Como Road at least once . . . I would hate for anyone to rob you of such a rich experience. :lol:

If there was a "like" button, I would click it. Definitely a "rich" experience. lol

Quoted for truth.
"To live and not to breathe is to die in tragedy." - Billie Joe Armstrong
"What I know I could put into a pack as if it were bread and cheese, and carry it on one shoulder, important and honorable, but so small! While everything else continues, unexplained, and unexplainable." - Mary Oliver

Postby Neil » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:40 pm

I will again be the voice from the wilderness on this subject! My experience hiking that road was wonderful for a few reasons. First, the transition from the San Luis Valley desert all the way to sub-alpine and alpine around Lake Como is fascinating. Second, and closely related, the scenery is beautiful and unique. As you get higher on the road, the valley starts looking like it would out of an airplane window. Third, I found the road easy to hike thanks to the big vehicles stabilizing the rocks over the years. Fourth, it was pretty cool passing all the Jaws sections that you hear about over and over. It's true, that road is no joke for driving! Finally, it's a nice long hike on a gentle grade -- good exercise and warm-up for the 14ers.

The trick is to hike it at the right times of day. Going up, leave your car around 7:00 p.m. This is a good compromise between hiking most of the road in the dark when it's nice and cool, but still getting into camp at a reasonable hour. Plus, looking back on Alamosa's lights just after dark is pretty cool! Coming out, leave first thing in the morning if you can. Again, the temps are cool and the sun isn't right over your head beating you down.
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song

Postby mtree » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 pm

I climbed Blanca from the base in the desert and back same day. Everyone should do this at least once in their life. And you should do it with a lazy hiking partner that won't hit the trail before 9am. This way, you not only get to experience every step of the entire road to Lake Como under some blazing sun, you get to enjoy the lights of Alamosa on the way down as well. Oh, and do this in late September with shorter days. That way you're sure to be able to learn the joys of hiking at dusk on slanted loose rock resembling a bed of granite arrowheads dispersed with oversized 8 balls all the while peering hopelessly down to the desert floor with the lights twinkling on the horizon. I was thinking all along, "Why couldn't you get your butt on the trail by seven?!" Oh yeah. That's right. It had something to do with the Jager the night before! To my climbing partner's credit, at least - once he got moving - he moved well enough. Enjoy. It's a fine trek!

I'm a glutton for punishment. I may go back this September and climb Ellingwood. Just for the memories.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody