Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ride available 7/19 - 8/1

Arrange group travel to/from the peaks.

Ride available 7/19 - 8/1

Postby triyoda » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:59 pm

Rentals in Denver are through the roof. The cheapest I could get was $800 for a rental and that is just for a Ford Focus. WTF.
I have plans to go to the Chicago Basin and probably over to Little Bear with maybe a swing through Taos and hit up Wheeler Pk. Finish with a day or two in the Elks or RMNP. Pretty flexible though and would be willing to consider lots of other options.
If you are interested in sharing transportation, let me know, even if you can't afford to go halves, I'll take what I can get.

Re: Ride available 7/19 - 8/1

Postby TheOtherIndian » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:57 pm

You should try off airport locations. Much cheaper there by couple of hundred bucks.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby CorduroyCalves » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:28 pm

triyoda wrote:Rentals in Denver are through the roof. The cheapest I could get was $800 for a rental and that is just for a Ford Focus. WTF.
I have plans to go to the Chicago Basin and probably over to Little Bear with maybe a swing through Taos and hit up Wheeler Pk. Finish with a day or two in the Elks or RMNP. Pretty flexible though and would be willing to consider lots of other options.
If you are interested in sharing transportation, let me know, even if you can't afford to go halves, I'll take what I can get.

Dang, I just checked out of curiosity and you're right, they're expensive (even from DIA)!!! Keep checking; I bet the rates'll get much better.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby triyoda » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:31 pm

Last year I rented a car for an entire month and it only cost $850. Since I put 5000 miles on it and drove it all the way to Waterton (Canada) and back, it was probably worth it;)
Typically (the last 4 years) I have been paying in the range of $400-$500 to rent cars from DIA. Although usually I have at least been able to get a small SUV for this price. Something about Denver, it just has the most expensive car rentals of anyone, and by a large margin. $800 for two weeks just seems really steep, especially with high flight costs (almost $600 on SWA). So I am basically out $100 a day just to be in CO with a car. At least hiking is mostly free :o

Postby jeffCC » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:44 pm

I think the high rate is due to taxes. Car renters are non-local, so its easy for pols to slap huge taxes on them without pissing off voters.

Postby halestorm » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:36 pm

Hotwire is closer to $525 for that time period. Its not "cheap" but a little better. They even have a truck (extra clearance) for like 565. Maybe that helps. Have a great trip!

Postby prestone818 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:05 pm

Rates change daily. Sign up for hotwire alerts.