Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

GROUP WINTER ASCENT OF GRAY'S PEAK??

Arrange group travel to/from the peaks.

Re: GROUP WINTER ASCENT OF GRAY'S PEAK??

Postby Mark A Steiner » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:51 am

hockeyfan651439 wrote:
gonzalj wrote:Good to know about the standard east slopes route being at least somewhat safer compared to lost rat. In terms of the suggestions starting from loveland pass, I think that idea in March (even with a shuttle back) would be a gruelling day (and I believe I'm being kind in my choice of words). All those saddles of gaining & losing elevation (especially once you start talking about grizzly to torreys & then over to grays would be brutal). Not to mention that the road from the summer TH, back down to where a car could park in March would add what like another 5 or 6 miles? If we started at loveland and only went to torreys and then back to loveland, I think that would be more realistic (although still a very challenging day). The other thing that would have to be looked at is the winds (as we all know those continental divide ridges can get pretty brutal). Anyway, my $.02.

Yeah that is all very true I guess. The fact that it's in March makes conditions ultra-chancy too. Anyways worst case scenario, whoever is interested could come along for the East Slopes assuming that Avalanche conditions are safe. Still a solid 13+ miler, so certainly worthy of a hardy full day.

I've been reading the recent threads for Grays Peak and my overall impression in there is much uncertainly about what to expect and how best to approach it in March. Consider another unknown factor - weather during the time of your stay.

March can be very stormy, with winter-like conditions exending into April and May. You may want to consider a Plan B or C if conditions force you to bail on Grays. An easy-to-access 13er or 12er in another range beside the Front Range may make the effort worthwhile. There are trip reports and posts you can check here to refine you effort. I too am from St. Paul, and recall the frustration of driving 900 miles only to encounter bad weather - in my case, the summer monsoon many years ago.
Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatever state I am, therewith to be content - Paul the Apostle.
Good day.

Postby Papillon » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:16 am

Mark A Steiner wrote:You may want to consider a Plan B or C if conditions force you to bail on Grays. An easy-to-access 13er or 12er in another range beside the Front Range may make the effort worthwhile. There are trip reports and posts you can check here to refine you effort. I too am from St. Paul, and recall the frustration of driving 900 miles only to encounter bad weather - in my case, the summer monsoon many years ago.

Sound advice. Look for routes that are ridge runs. Grizzly-Sniktau-Cupid from Loveland will get you three front range 13ers. Bierstadt from the Georgetown winter closure should not pose any danger. Neither should Square Top from the same TH.

The more I think about it, the more I feel Bross from Moose Creek is the easiest and safest snowy season 14er. And once you are up there, you can run ridges and hit Lincoln, Cameron and Democrat. All told, the miles and vert for this group will be less than Grays and Torreys from Bakerville. Granted, you have to drop 800(?) feet from Cameron to get Democrat and then regain it but everything is pretty cut and dry. That ridge may be a little slow and tedious with fresh snow but nothing white knuckle.

re: Bakerville

There are two massive avy paths that could reach the road but it would have to snow and load like a mofo for it to happen (and I believe it has happened). Anyone who has walked that road has seen them to your right while approaching the summer TH. I believe one can be used as a shortcut to Kelso Mountain in the summer.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby timf » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:02 pm

Depending on what the localized section of cornice is doing, what about the eastern ridge of Sniktau? That might be an option from Bakerville again depending on what the cornice is like right near the summit.

Tim

Previous