Talusmonkey June Birthday / Memorial Hike

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
highmountaindrifter
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highmountaindrifter »

Are we all camping Sat. night at the upper lake, lower lake, or are we going to spread it out throghout the area?? I will be there early Sat. morning to hit the Crestones and I'm just looking to shed some gear before I head up from the lakes.

Ryan
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

highmountaindrifter,
I would say either the lower lake or the upper TH...for those lazy folks like me who don't want to haul a heavy pack any further than I have to! :wink:

The upper TH would be less hiking distance w/ a heavy pack; but the lower lake is probably a better place to camp. Any one have any thoughts?
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

jamienellis wrote:...for those lazy folks like me who don't want to haul a heavy pack any further than I have to! :wink:

The upper TH would be less hiking distance w/ a heavy pack; but the lower lake is probably a better place to camp. Any one have any thoughts?
I feel the EXACT same way, Jamie- no carrying heavy packs!! Definitely not my thang! I'm cool with camping at the upper TH...
TK
14ers: 17 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TK »

Hi everyone-

Although I didn't think I'd be able to make it, my summer plans have changed extensively.

Now that I am suddenly available on the 17th, I would be happy to come along, toast David, and have the chance to finally meet some of you folks face-to-face.

Would anyone be interested in picking up another passenger on the way down from the Boulder area? Please PM if this is possible.

-TK
"If you're not sure where you are, but you haven't taken the time to stop and look at the map, you're not lost, just lazy." -Darran Wells
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

jamienellis wrote:highmountaindrifter,
I would say either the lower lake or the upper TH...for those lazy folks like me who don't want to haul a heavy pack any further than I have to! :wink:

I like the idea of getting as far up the road via internal combustion engine as possible. Heavy pack? Some other time.
Anyone who'd like to carpool from the Durango area, feel free to shoot me a PM. My truck has space for one passenger to Westcliffe, at which point I think I'm picking up a Honda Prelude-driving guy to ride up the S. Colony Lakes road. I plan on leaving either Friday p.m. or Sat morning and am considering a shortcut over Medano Pass for fun.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
KeithK
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (51)

Post by KeithK »

KeithK wrote:As of this very moment, I am planning to join KirkT in coming from Denver, so please count me in!
Never mind... I tore/sprained a tibialis tendon playing soccer, and am on the DL. :evil:
Snow is dumb.™
Stop cyber bullying!
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

Who's going early Saturday morning? I'm in Boulder and wouldn't mind carpooling, especially with someone with a 4wd for the road. I can drive to the lower trailhead, though.

Also, might anyone be interested in camping at the lower lake? I, personally, prefer to be as high as possible to start with for summit day and think that the views of places like that are well worth hauling in the heavy pack. I might be weird, but that's me :)
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Steve,
I'll be going down there with sdkeil... we'll most likely take a fuel-efficient car (i.e., not mine!), meet everyone at that food place, and then see if we can get a ride from someone up S. Colony road to where everyone is. You can go with us!

Everyone-
I'm going to bring some music to play at the top- I've got some songs, but does anyone else have any suggestions for more songs that might be appropriate for this outing?
Jeff_F
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jeff_F »

USAKeller wrote:Steve,
Everyone-
I'm going to bring some music to play at the top- I've got some songs, but does anyone else have any suggestions for more songs that might be appropriate for this outing?
Sound Tribe Sector 9 :twisted:
The mountains are calling and I must go.
- - John Muir
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

USAKeller wrote:Steve,
I'll be going down there with sdkeil... we'll most likely take a fuel-efficient car (i.e., not mine!), meet everyone at that food place, and then see if we can get a ride from someone up S. Colony road to where everyone is. You can go with us!

Everyone-
Caroline,
I was planning on meeting the group at the pizza place in Westcliffe.. I can take two people with gear up S. Colony Lakes in my Jeep. You and Skdeil might get a kiss or two from my labrador in the back seat :D but I can take you guys to the spot where we plan to hike.. Steve, I will probably have room for you as well, as long as you go semi light on the gear.. Let me know..

MUSIC....
Dave Matthews, Samples, Pete Yorn, Bob Marley, Widespread.. :)
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

Caroline,
You knew David far better than I. My only suggestion is to play what he liked best. Can we play some of his faves?
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
stevevets689
14ers: 55  5  1 
13ers: 53 2
Trip Reports (43)

Post by stevevets689 »

Well, I'm good at fitting in tight places... I'll have a pack with a tent strapped to it, but I can probably carry one or the other (or both) in my lap if necessary. Or we can tie it to the roof, or the back, or the front, etc, etc, I'm sure that could work.

I would still like to go early in the morning, though, if anyone's up to it. Otherwise I'll go with USAKeller and sdkeil.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll take you down to their level and beat you with experience.