Talusmonkey June Birthday / Memorial Hike

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

astrobassman wrote:OK it looks like I will make it now. I'm going to try to get the pathfinder up that road. I will have 2 friends with me too. See you all there Saturday afternoon...
Cool, see you there.
cbauer10
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cbauer10 »

Is there any camping at the beginning of the 4WD road? I think we will getting to the TH a little late and will drive the 4WD road in the morning.
ccunnin
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ccunnin »

Can't wait to see the TR and the pics. Wish I could be there.
He who controls the spice, controls the universe.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

As do I. Have fun!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
kurty[B]
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kurty[B] »

I'm off for the evening. See you all at the pizza place tomorrow.
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

What is the fastest best way to go down to Westcliffe from Denver? 285 to 50 or take I25 down to Pueblo and out 50.. I have done it both ways but which is quicker? I would imaging that 285 to Salida and then get on 50 east may be a little faster, but it seems like 6 or 1/2 dozen if you know what I mean... Any thoughts? :?
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
highmountaindrifter
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by highmountaindrifter »

USAKeller, I have an extra pair of poles you can use, they are not the greatest in the world but your more than welcome to use them. I'll leave them on top of a green Jeep Grand Cherokee. If you still need them.

Ryan
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

Rockymtnhigh69 wrote:What is the fastest best way to go down to Westcliffe from Denver? 285 to 50 or take I25 down to Pueblo and out 50.. I have done it both ways but which is quicker? I would imaging that 285 to Salida and then get on 50 east may be a little faster, but it seems like 6 or 1/2 dozen if you know what I mean... Any thoughts? :?
Neither. Go I-25 to 115 to through Florence.
qb
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Sounds like a blast

Post by qb »

The Sangres just don't look the same anymore since they claimed TM. My most awful experience on a 14er took place just to the W of Humboldt in Kirk Couloir descending ill-advisedly from the Challenger/Kit Carson saddle instead of bopping back over to Challenger and heading down from that summit. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

All the best to all of you. qb'll be wishing he were there to meet some of you. USAKeller, special greetings and condolences to you. God bless. qb
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

THANK YOU & overview

Post by jamienellis »

A great big thanks to everyone who make it out Sat & Sunday for David's Memorial Hike / Birthday celebration!!!!

We had a wonderful turn-out and it was great tribute to David. People came from as far away as Steamboat Springs and New Mexico.
Lots of Captain Morgan, Colt 45, Hot Damn, and whipped cream were consumed in his honor. (In a safe manner, of course! :wink: ) A trip report and many pictures will be posted in the coming days.

The weather situation was looking grim yesterday afternoon / evening; but did a turn around today & we had perfect summit conditions. A touch of wind, but nothing unbearable.

This weekend only re-confirmed what I've learned over the past year or so. 14ers.com is comprised of so many diverse, caring, fun, big hearted people. It really is like a big family of sorts.

Probably not a situation you see often: We have 38 (for the most part) perfect strangers come together. Every time I turn around someone is offering someone a ride; helping direct the drivers up the 4WD road; sharing gear, food, drink; encouraging each other on the trail; etc.

I could go on and on; but now I've gotten all girly and sappy. :oops: I guess what I'm getting at is that the whole weekend was heart warming & David would be so happy to see such a gathering in his honor!

Back to business:
By my count we had 38 people overall. I will post the list of attendees below. If I've left anyone off, I sincerely apologize & please let me know so that we can add you in the 'official' Trip Report.

USAKeller
sdkeil
jamienellis
shanahan96
skasgaard
kurtyB
swturner
ChrisP
stevevets689
del_sur
highmountaindrifter
Rockymtnhigh69
KirkT
Jeff_F
goatgirl
denalibound & Kevin
Scott Patterson & Kessler
guitmo223 & Scott
Merlin6803
roozers42
TK and Bob
shad
danielsb
CODave & Kate
tragal + Susanne
astrobassman, Christine, Jon
Pete
Mots010
Alex
James Scott
*a special shout-out to Mr. Sketchy McSketcherson

Thanks again!
Last edited by jamienellis on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Very well said, Jamie! It was a wonderful weekend with wonderful people celebrating someone who has touched all of our lives in some way.

Did you happen to leave off Sketchy McSketchBall on that list?!! :wink:
jamienellis
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (5)

Post by jamienellis »

LMAO, Caroline! :lol:
How could I have forgotten him?!?!? I'm going to edit that post right now...

You are so amazing & strong. I can't begin to imagine how hard it must have been for you to go back so soon. I hope that you were able to have some closure & that it helped to have 38 'stranger-friends' around for moral support.

Your Captain Morgan summit drinking skills were impressive too! :wink:
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson