Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

TalusMonkey.com

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

TalusMonkey.com

Postby CODave » Thu May 17, 2007 1:16 pm

Last week while thinking about ways to remember David and never forget him I thought of TalusMonkey.com. I was sure it was already leased, but when I found out that it wasn't, I grabbed it right away.

Over the last few months David and I had discussions about building him (or he building one) a website with pictures, etc. and me hosting it for him. I can't think of a much better way to allow David's life and spirit to live on than creating this website for him, in his memory.

Rather than me simply create a website all by myself, I would rather do this as sort of a community effort. Please email me your ideas, thoughts, comments, etc. to WebmasterTM@talusmonkey.com.

Thank you for your time.

Dave

Postby Rockymtnhigh69 » Thu May 17, 2007 1:25 pm

CO Dave..

Awesome idea! :D
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)

Postby krz2fer » Thu May 17, 2007 2:09 pm

Great stuff. I'm a designer so if you need help give give a shout!
Chris

Postby USAKeller » Thu May 17, 2007 2:30 pm

You know, I've been thinking a lot too...and I definitely have come to the conclusion that he would want to be remembered way more by something like this than have a peak named after him. Great idea, Dave. And you know that I'll contribute everything I can to do this.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby Aspen Summit » Thu May 17, 2007 2:41 pm

CODave,

Great idea. Believe it or not, I still use David's trip reports...so perhaps an archived section on those reports?

I don't mind having (and paying for an email address): knight.sor@talusmonkey.com -- it'll be like I'm over the house drinking :lol:

Good 'ole TM, I'm going to punch him for making me cry! :cry:

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Thu May 17, 2007 4:11 pm

Dave,

As I mentioned at the memorial, let me know what you'd like from me for information on the new site. I assume you would want to link to his 14ers.com TR's, but that's easy. Feel free to take copies of those videos - let me now if you want larger version in MPEG or other format. I have the original videos on my DVR.

Once you get things up on the site, I can just change the memorial link on the 14ers.com home page to point to TalusMonkey.com. I think it's a great idea for David to have his own site.

Later,

Bill

Postby Aubrey » Thu May 17, 2007 9:49 pm

Great idea, Dave.

Coupla' suggestions here, which may have already been thought/said:

- Would it be possible to archive some of the threads from 14ers.com on that site? There's been a lot of great stuff said. Some people (especially David's extended family/friends, for example) may not have had a chance to read through it all. Having it stored somewhere would give them time to read it all. [Or at least links to 14ers.com, if it's stored here. Just as long as it's stored somewhere. :wink: ]

- Is there any way that you could keep track of all the state highpoints done in his honor? Seems that a lot have been done already. Maybe you could even archive his TRs and threads on state high points, as well.

http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5923

- A log / guest book might be cool. Something easy-to-use for the non-Internet-savvy folk.

Postby CODave » Fri May 18, 2007 12:30 pm

Great ideas... keep them coming.

Aubrey wrote:- Would it be possible to archive some of the threads from 14ers.com on that site? There's been a lot of great stuff said. Some people (especially David's extended family/friends, for example) may not have had a chance to read through it all. Having it stored somewhere would give them time to read it all. [Or at least links to 14ers.com, if it's stored here. Just as long as it's stored somewhere.

- A log / guest book might be cool. Something easy-to-use for the non-Internet-savvy folk.

Are you talking about any thread David participated in or just those he started?

I've added a guestbook.

Keep in mind, the look and feel of the website is very plain... this is only temporary and will change to look better sometime in the near future.

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Fri May 18, 2007 12:43 pm

Dave,

I tried to sign the guestbook and it bombed out after I hit submit. Looks like it created an empty record though.

Bill

Postby Matt » Fri May 18, 2007 12:46 pm

Me, too. HTTP 500 - Internal server error
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby CorduroyCalves » Fri May 18, 2007 2:46 pm

USAKeller wrote:You know, I've been thinking a lot too...and I definitely have come to the conclusion that he would want to be remembered way more by something like this than have a peak named after him. Great idea, Dave. And you know that I'll contribute everything I can to do this.

I thought calling one of the several unnamed peaks in CO Mt. Worthington would be a great way to immortalize him, but you know what he'd like better than I would.
Life is too short to pay full retail for outdoor gear!

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from draught, disease, avalanches, and a thousand straining, leveling tempasts and floods; but he cannot save them from fools; only Uncle Sam can do that."--John Muir

Postby MtHurd » Fri May 18, 2007 4:55 pm

Don't know if you can get any ideas from this site, but here is another climber's memorial site.

Friends of Jimmy Forester

Next