Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Remember David, but....

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Remember David, but....

Postby Kodachrome » Sun May 13, 2007 9:34 pm

...remember what these mountains are...

The mountains, the land, the sky, the circle of life that is not just man, has more collective intellect than any one human alone. Without saying a word, it speaks volumes of what it needs....and what *you* need.

Peaks, the 14ers, the high places...they are not to be "Conquered", "Bagged" or "Knocked off the list". They are to be respected and addressed with sincerity, not flamboyance. A truly wise and collected person in the outdoors does not accept a label such as "Climber", "Outdoorsman" or "Peak-Bagger". He knows better than that....

If one is in the right place with the right attitude, one does not climb or scale the peak....

One is simply granted safe passage to her lofty summit and back down.

I only did 4 peaks with David, but I know without a doubt he was ( is ) one with the true nature of what the mountains are. As an outdoor professional ( if I must use such a term ) I certainly have questions about certain aspects of his last climb...but those are not for here or any other gathering place of mountain folk.

So climb high, hike well, but do it with a renewed method of sincerity and respect as a tribute to a fallen cloud and a way to live one with the high places.

By the way, out of some 80 assents of the high places over the years, Humboldt is the only one that I was injured on. I was alone with a sprained ankle near the summit at sunset. I had been running down the trail when a rock grabbed my boot and I fell forward and hit my knee on a rock. It swelled right up, I limped down to camp and had to hobble to my truck the next day.

I was cocky, it was an *easy* peak.....

....and Humboldt bit me.

Thank you David, for your enthusiasm and fellowship. We will pay it forward.
Last edited by Kodachrome on Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby USAKeller » Sun May 13, 2007 9:40 pm

Thank you so much for your post- very touching. I'll see if any of his family members would like that copy.
Rise and grind. Every day.

Re: Remember David, but....

Postby jimlup » Mon May 14, 2007 5:35 am

Kodachrome wrote:...remember what these mountains are...
If one is in the right place with the right attitude, one does not climb or scale the peak....

One is simply granted safe passage to her lofty summit and back down.

http://gallery.photo.net/photo/3748497-lg.jpg

Very eliquently said. The pictures are awesome in the true meaning of that word.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...