Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Some additional much needed credit

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Some additional much needed credit

Postby tragal » Fri May 11, 2007 8:46 am

Its been a difficult week indeed and through this website many people have sought and hopefully found comfort and resolve with one another. I am just another one of the countless individuals impacted by this tragic event and a person I had never even met. I spent much of last summer following his “jihad” and laughing at his antics. It almost seems pathetic, but I look forward to each report he did and actually waited eagerly for the report from his final 14er.

I think in light of the recent events it’s hard for all of us to not acknowledge Bill and 14ers.com. Many of us would not have known who Talus Monkey was or could have followed the events of this week as closely without this site. I marvel at his quick response with the tribute page, links and the regular updates to it. I didn’t quite understand the value (if you can even put one on it) of this tremendous resource he has made available to us. 1,648,301 hits speaks volumes. I know I for one will be making a much needed and overdue donation to this site in the immediate future. Thank you Bill!

I also didn’t have a full appreciation for SAR before the posting by CO Native, which left me speechless and shaken to the core. I like many people wondered throughout the day on Monday and Tuesday why it took so long to get him off the mountain and the answers to those questions were made crystal clear. I have a new found respect and total appreciation for the entire SAR organization. I pray I never need their assistance but take comfort in know that such a great service is available for anyone in need. To me, what that group does on a regular, for people they have never met, is amazing. They are “heroes” in every sense of the word and I will also be making a donation to their organization.

Postby Aubrey » Fri May 11, 2007 8:54 am

Beautifully articulated. I concur completely.

Postby Bodacious » Fri May 11, 2007 10:56 am

Hi guys,

Donations are always appreciated! Most SAR teams run on shoestring budgets, with or without CORSAR reimbursements. And, volunteers often spend into the hundreds and even thousands to make their SAR commitments each year.

These are the teams on the mountain that day. I sincerely apologize if I leave anyone out:

Custer SAR
El Paso SAR
Teller SAR
Douglas County SAR
Alpine Rescue Team
Western State Mountain Rescue Team

Custer called others, and they were responding...but these are the teams I recall on the hill. Again, I hope I didn't leave anyone out.
"To travel, to experience and learn: that is to live."
- Tenzing Norgay

Site Administrator

Thank You

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Sat May 12, 2007 9:35 am

Thank you so much for the kind words.

As many of you know, I've tried to make 14ers.com a valuable resource for climbers and other people interested in the peaks. But, after creating the open forum, something happened to the site. It quickly grew into a place where we could share information and stories about the 14ers and our fellow climbers. And make new friends. It's a unique environment that hasn't turned into "bragging grounds" or a place in need of a parental warning. And there isn't a shortage of helpful people like David, CONative and Scott Patterson, which are there to help whether you are new to climbing or possess a more advanced skill set.

David had a large and unique presence on our site, and will always have a tribute page on 14ers.com. Starting tomorrow, on the lower portion of the home page, there will be a permanant icon that links to David's tribute page.
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby USAKeller » Sat May 12, 2007 10:02 am

I agree completely about how much Bill should be recognized for this. despite this incident, my donation is long overdue and I know that my family will be making a generous contribution! Thanks for bringing this topic up.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby Joe32 » Sat May 12, 2007 10:12 am

Thanks for everything you do for us Bill, When I moved out here from Indiana two years ago I would have been lost without this website and all of the help I have recieved from it. I dissappeared on it for ahwile and had to come back with a new name, but I just want to thank you personally for everything you do to help out this wonderful community we call 14ers.com. You will be recieving my donations and patch money this upcoming week. Thanks again.
Joe32

Postby Bodacious » Sat May 12, 2007 4:44 pm

Bill,

As stated in my PM...well, I guess it's all been said. Thank you. The check should have arrived today...
"To travel, to experience and learn: that is to live."
- Tenzing Norgay