High points for TM

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

Hey these are cool!

I'm really glad we've already hit so many of the 50. Anybody have any suggestions about how we could keep track ... kind of a make shift checklist? If we could set that up, I'd recomend putting an option for reclimbs so that multiple people could note climbing a high point for TM.

Let me think, as best I can recall we've gotten:

Arizona,
Hawaii,
Massachussets,
Michigan,
Misouri,
Nebraska,
??

eh, Colorado? I suspect we have that one by default.

Any that I missed? I guess this is why I'm suggesting a "virtual states high points list" somewhere all can access. Maybe we could do it as a "poll" and when you hit a state high point for TM you vote in the poll... and make a note if so desired... well, I can think of some problems with that idea. Bill?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z143 ... 011_8A.jpg
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
neighbor
Trip Reports (0)

Post by neighbor »

i'll sign his name in on a remote 3k mtn in nh.
maybe w. tucker
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=44. ... ize=l&s=50
where's houdini???
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

High Points

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

[quote="jimlup"]Hey these are cool!

Let me think, as best I can recall we've gotten:

Arizona,
Hawaii,
Massachussets,
Michigan,
Misouri,
Nebraska,
??

eh, Colorado? I suspect we have that one by default.

Any that I missed?

I think someone also got Delaware, and of course, Louisiana.

This coming weekend, myself; our mom; my husband and our babies; David's bestfriend, Gary; and Gary's dad, are all going to summit Mt. Mitchell, NC's high point, for David. I'll update the list after we complete our hike.
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by PatsSox09 »

Mt. Greylock Trip Report

After a disappointing finish in a Beirut tournament Sunday night, I decided to make up for it by summiting Mt. Greylock, the highest point of Massachusetts. Initial plans were laid to waste when I found out that the trailhead I had been planning on using was closed. In fact, the entire stretch of the paved road that goes to the top is closed until 2009 for reconstruction. Looking at a trail map, I decided my best bet was to ascend via the Thunderbolt Trail.

Classic Shot of Greylock from Hairpin Turn on Rt. 2:

Elevation Gain: 2300' (Give or take) Trail length: 2 miles. Obviously it doesn't really compare to Colorado or any of the Rockies, but for MA that is pretty serious.

It probably wasn't a good idea to hike this trail still hungover as I was; bits and pieces of nausea didn't help. The hike was pretty strenuous, with a moderate incline to start things off, then pure elevation gain, most of which came in an approx 0.7 mile section where the grade was constantly around 35 degrees or so. Taking long rests were impossible because of the bugs, so I kept trudging up. As I made my way along the last steep stretch some kind of falcon/hawk type bird flew right over me. It was pretty big.

View of Adams, MA 1.5 miles into the trail:

After topping out at a ridge, the trail joins the Appalachian trail, and the last half mile was a pretty easy walk to the summit. Usually it would be very crowded on Memorial, but with the paved road closed for the next couple of years, people were pretty scarce.

War Memorial Summit Tower (Also Closed till 2009):

Mountain Dew:

Cool looking trees at the summit:

View east from top:

I spent about 40 min on the summit. Couldn't find a summit register, so I had to settle for just a Mountain Dew shot. Trip down only took around 40 min (compared to 1 1/2 hour on the way up)
Bobo
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (7)

TX Highpoint

Post by Bobo »

I'm planning to hike Guadalupe Peak (Highest Point in Texas) next Saturday (June 2). I'll make sure TM is represented appropriately in TX. Anyone want to come along? I plan to camp Friday night either at the trailhead or at the backcountry campsite (depending on what time I get there).
"At this point the runner might philosophize a and consider just where he or she is in the Imogene Pass Run. You've climbed 1945 ft of elevation in 5.45 mi, at an average of 356 ft./mi., 6.8% gradient. To reach Imogene Pass you must climb 3365 ft in the next 4.60 mi, at an average of 731 ft./mi., or 13.85% gradient. Your effort so far has simply been a warmup. The steep gradients of the named hills below are now less than the average gradient ahead." - IPR course description
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Re: High Points

Post by jimlup »

TalusMonkey's sister wrote: ...

This coming weekend, myself; our mom; my husband and our babies; David's bestfriend, Gary; and Gary's dad, are all going to summit Mt. Mitchell, NC's high point, for David. I'll update the list after we complete our hike.
North Carolina sounds like fun. I may try it later in the summer while visiting my dad.

Here is were we stand:

Arizona,
Colorado, x?
Delaware,
Hawaii,
Louisiana,
Massachussets, x2!
Michigan,
Missouri,
Nebraska,

With Texas and NC coming soon! Alaska and Washington will be tough for obvious reasons.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
PatsSox09
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by PatsSox09 »

jimlup, Rhode Island (Jerimoth Hill) as well for the list.
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

I will hit Mt Marcy in NY for TM in late August/early September if nobody beats me to it first...
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

jimlup wrote:

North Carolina sounds like fun. I may try it later in the summer while visiting my dad.

Here is were we stand:

Arizona,
Colorado, x?
Delaware,
Hawaii,
Louisiana,
Massachussets, x2!
Michigan,
Missouri,
Nebraska,

With Texas and NC coming soon! Alaska and Washington will be tough for obvious reasons.
Nevada, May 12th
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

jimlup wrote:

Here is were we stand:

Arizona,
Colorado, x?
Delaware,
Hawaii,
Louisiana,
Massachussets, x2!
Michigan,
Missouri,
Nebraska,

Jim, I think it was Rhode Island, not Delaware. I don't know what I was thinking. Sorry about the confusion. By the way, if you come out to NC, give us a call. We live in the county where Mt. Mitchell is located. Thanks.

I've also been wondering if someone will be able to get Alaska and Washington. It seems unlikely, but I'd love to see it happen.
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

All,

I'm working on a page where people can log a state highpoint for David. You will also have a field where you can link to forum thread in case you have also added it as a forum trip report.

I will post the details when I'm done.

Here is the start of the "list" page, only with David's entries:
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/dwhighpoints.php
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Piker
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Piker »

I will be hitting Wisconsins high point this Friday.
Have you ever stopped to think....then forget to start again?