High points for TM

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jfox
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jfox »

I'll be in Ohio next week and will be passing by Campbell Hill...consider it done! :D
rlynn
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by rlynn »

I believe I can get to Indiana's highpoint this summer. I'll let you know.
-Ryan
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

David and I had plans to do Mauna Kea, Hawaii in the future... I'm headed to Kauai on May 16th then to Kona, HI a few days later. I had already planned on doing this before everything had happened. Now that sdkeil told me that David had always wanted me to solo something, I will be doing Mauna Kea solo (but with him of course). I can't wait.
CarolinaMtnGuy
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CarolinaMtnGuy »

I have just joined 14ers.com, though I have been reading posts for some time now. I was motivated to join after the momentous and grand outpouring of sympathy and emotion for TalusMonkey. Like many, I didn't know him in person. But through you great and wonderful people of the 14er community, I feel the spirit of this man inundating and filling up my senses all the way here in NC where I reside!. Anyway, I plan to day hike our high point of Mount Mitchell soon and will be sure to think of David while I'm up there. Also, I will be making my 5th trip to CO Memorial Day weekend to bag my 2nd 14er (Yale) and will have thoughts of him then too.
Spam
14ers: 15 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Spam »

gurlyclimber wrote:
Spam wrote:Here is the high point for the state I was born and breed in. It is exciting!! I will tackle this one on one of my trips to see the folks, there is actually a registry on it!

http://www.ci.kimball.ne.us/highpoint.htm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That looks DANGEROUS!!!!!
It could be, I might get cow Sh@t in my crampons! I'll be sure to rope up!

I'll take care of Nebraska Memorial Weekend!!
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs
Darryl Dunlap
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Darryl Dunlap »

USAKeller wrote:David and I had plans to do Mauna Kea, Hawaii in the future... I'm headed to Kauai on May 16th then to Kona, HI a few days later. I had already planned on doing this before everything had happened. Now that sdkeil told me that David had always wanted me to solo something, I will be doing Mauna Kea solo (but with him of course). I can't wait.
Caroline,
That is awesome. I'm glad you are going to pursue that.

David's memory will be hoisted high atop Mt. Sneffels from the north side, 3 weeks from tomorrow.
Davis2001r6 Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:27 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was actually going to be meeting him for the first time up on Rainier in July. I was already planning on doing this for that trip, may bring some colt 45 for him as well.
I'm planning on Rainier in September also, looks like it'll be a 2x for him.

I'm sure his memory will spur many more summits and mountain top toasts. I have never in my life imagined such an outpouring for anyone like this, David, you truly are a "Rock Star". Caroline, you are one of the most admirable people out there.
And to all the members of 14er.com as well as Bill, you all are great. Watching and being a part of this past few days will always remain in my mind and give me more courage to live life as David would want all of us to.
"A great loss of a wonderful person clouds us tonight, Rest In Peace David...."
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Mel McKinney »

I'm going back east to Virginia in a few weeks. Would be happy to try and hit Mt. Rogers in Virginia. It gives me some incentive to get some hiking in while I'm there.
Scanner
14ers: 34 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Scanner »

Gosh, I wonder how difficult it would be to summit the high point in my native state of Louisiana! (Driskill Mtn. is 534' above sea level.)
Spam
14ers: 15 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Spam »

Scanner wrote:Gosh, I wonder how difficult it would be to summit the high point in my native state of Louisiana! (Driskill Mtn. is 534' above sea level.)
Might that be the only mountain one would have to fear alligators?
"Getting to the top is optional, getting down is mandatory." -- Ed Viesturs
dustj
14ers: 58  16  1 
13ers: 126 19 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dustj »

I'm hitting up Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and possibly New Mexico on Monday and Tuesday. I know he has done Kansas from his TR a couple of weeks ago. What about the others? It would be an honor to sign his name to at least one of those.
RenoBob
14ers: 6 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by RenoBob »

Talus Monkey did Oklahoma & Texas last March. His TR is in the USA-Other peaks section.
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once.
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

I'm doing the Michigan High Point Climb Tomorrow (Saturday) in honor of David! The Michigan high point is in the Porccipine mountains, Mt. Arvon (1,979 feet). This is in the Upper Penninsula, not really mountains by Colorado standards, however they were glaciated about 10,000 years ago and it should be fun.

If any Michiganders are out there, I'll probably be at the summit 2pm - 3pm Saturday May 12.
Last edited by jimlup on Fri May 11, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...