USAKeller and TalusMonkey

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
rlynn
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by rlynn »

This was beautiful, Caroline. I am amazed at the courage and resolve you have to write TRs and this article at this time. Just know that we are here for you, even the people who don't personally know you or David. Stay strong in the Lord.

"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow
you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most
troublesome times in my life,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when
I needed you most you would leave me."

The LORD replied:

"My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering,
when you see only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you."
-Footprints
-Ryan
GV14
14ers: 28 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by GV14 »

I stopped by StinkerTodd's home today. We shared a lot of memories about TalusMonkey. It's funny because neither one of us had the pleasure of meeting him in person but we always enjoyed talking about him and his 14er exploits. StinkerTodd's six-year-old daughter is the one who asked TM on here what she needed to do to dress up as the Purple Pimp for Halloween. He quickly responded with one of his classic lines.

"Oh, this outfit is available with a moisture permeable membrane lining, but I prefer an exterior spray water repellant. I find that the beads of water (or melting snow) on the velvet create a shimmering effect that accents my bling. Leopard balaclava is available as an accessory. "

During my visit today, StinkerTodd's wife said, "Hey, I bought this bottle of wine for you at Christmas but kept forgetting to give it to you. When we saw it in the store, we just had to buy it. Everyone knows Talus Monkey!" Above is the picture dedicated to the memory of Talus Monkey!

GV14 - Bart
TalusMonkey - you will be missed.
Yog
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Yog »

Some of the closest friends I have are fellow climbers. So much is shared just on a single outing... the bond that grows is virtually unbreakable. There are very few people on this world that I trust more than my climbing partners. This really hits home. Very beautiful yet so tragic.

...doing what he loved with a person whom he loved...

Thanks for sharing this with us.

namaste
. . .Now, after the hours of torment . . . I have nothing more to do than breathe . . .I am nothing more than a single, narrow, gasping lung, floating over the mists and the summits.
-Reinhold Messner
guitmo223
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitmo223 »

Thank you for sharing that Caroline.
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill
TalusMonkeys sister
Trip Reports (0)

Thanks.

Post by TalusMonkeys sister »

Caroline, thank you so much for everything you've done. I know you must be overwhelmed, and I wanted to ask you to contact me after you get settled back down. I guess my mom told you that I'm seven months pregnant, with complications, and have a 15 month old daughter. I regret so much, that I won't be able to meet you and thank you personally. My husband is on a flight out there right now, to thank you for me. I wanted to ask you if you had pictures from the final trip, and I saw that you have posted some. Thank you so much. I want to ask you for copies one day.

Caroline, Thank you for making my brother happy. Please don't ever forget him. And thank you for trying so hard to save him. Please contact me when it's convenient for you. Thank you so much! It's easy for me to understand why he fell in love with you.

Below is my contact information, but if you want to e-mail me your contact info, I would love to call you. Our mom's address is the same.

Thanks again. Thanks for spearheading getting information out about David's memorial service, and a possible memorial climb. He would be so honored, and so would we. Again, thank you.

Holly Newsome
654 Clear Creek Road
Marion, NC 28752
828-724-1659
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome
elkheart22
14ers: 14 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (0)

Post by elkheart22 »

Caroline,
Thanks so much for sharing your story.

There is no way mere words can express what
you must be going through.

You & David are constantly in my thoughts & prayers.

Tim.
Lakes below the mountains
Flow into the sea
Like oils applied to canvas,
They permeate through me. --- Jimmy Buffett
lake
Trip Reports (0)

David Worthington

Post by lake »

Caroline,
I have never met you, but I know a lot about you. I am Lake, the dolphins fan, David's boss. He talked about you often. In his cube, he has pictures of many of the peaks he has climbed. You are in almost everyone. David touched the lives of all of us here at MMS. He was vibrant, full of energy & enthusiasm, and just fun to be around. I cried when I saw the last picture of him on your memorial. It is so much like the others he has here. I remember talking to him on Friday, and he said that he was hiking this weekend, and that I would see him on Monday. I know that this has been hard on you. My thoughts and prayers are with you. David now watches over all of us.
Lake
cthoma11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cthoma11 »

i have known david (talus monkey) for some 24 years and trust me he is everything you all know him to be and more . he has always thought more of the people around him than himself ,he has always been the that crazy guy in the purple pimp suit and he died doing something he loved.i met him when he was 15 years old in n.c. and he has not changed since then .he is in a better place. charlie thomas winston salem n.c.
sundog54
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by sundog54 »

Thank you, USA Keller, for sharing that tribute. I think everyone is honored and astonished by your courage in sharing.
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

Very nicely said Caroline.. Just beautiful! :cry:
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)
speedpolka
14ers: 23  1 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by speedpolka »

That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your special relationship.
Subduction leads to Orogeny.
Skitch14
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skitch14 »

Thank you for sharing that USAKeller. The courage you showed and continue to show is amazing, and I am sure that TM will be with you in all of your future climbing and life endeavors. Thank you for the tribute.