Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tribute Asscent

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Postby Joe32 » Sat May 12, 2007 12:04 pm

My buddy from Indiana is coming out that week, if anyone sees two hitchhikers with packs on in that area we would love a ride to wherever it is you are going. If it just happens to be a trail head somewhere, great. I sold my 4x4 and am driving a car now, my mistake. Hope to catch a ride.

Postby Alex » Sun May 13, 2007 3:44 pm

elkheart22 wrote:Word from the top is.....

No Plaques of any kind on National Forest Property.

Like I stated before,

Didn't seem to stop the folks on Silverheels......
I have seen one on the Mt. Elbert summit. Why couldn't it be installed on Humboldt?
The only thing better than mountains are mountains to which you have never been!

Plaques

Postby colson » Sun May 13, 2007 8:17 pm

Regarding the suggestion on plaques -- Instead of an engraved metal plaque, maybe a rock with something etched (sandblasted) dedicated to TM. It wouldn't stand out to the forest service as a plaque so to speak, and would fit in well. Not that I object to a nice covert plaque though either. :wink:

Postby Charla aka Chulabelle » Sun May 13, 2007 9:08 pm

I do not want to get in trouble on the mountain, either. i don't have winter/snow climbing gear but I want to make this climb. It's reall yhard to keep up with all the changes on the forum regarding this climb...so, on June 16/17 how much snow we talkin? And, what kinda gear would I need? If that is not an option for me, when is the second - if there is a second - trip up???
Gone missing in the shrewd, sharp moon
Full and too soon
Was my fickle doom
As I crawled among its hungry womb
Charla Stilling

Postby USAKeller » Sun May 13, 2007 9:46 pm

I'm not sure I will be able to attend the memorial hike in June- my grandmother will be celebrating her 98th birthday (same birthday as David's!- not sure how many more we'll spend with her) and we might be doing something that weekend. I will see. But, I will be there for the memorial hike in August, hopefully spreading his ashes on Humboldt.

charla,
I suggested doing a memorial hike of Humboldt on August 15th, to honor the day I first met David in person (same day, last year). I think some people are planning on doing some sort of plaque for it but I'm not sure.
Last edited by USAKeller on Mon May 28, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All we are called to do is do the next right thing.

Postby yoak » Mon May 14, 2007 5:25 pm

i would like to be there in august. while i am on the long list that never met him i also couldnt wait to see what TM had posted. his trip reports, my hiking partners and i have used to determine our hiking/climbing routes and mountain ranges many times. i never thanked him for this. i certaintly will never forget his memory when i am in the mountains and hiking the BC. so will it be on the 15th? if i skipped past the post that said for sure 15th of august my bad........

a colt 45 will make it up there with me on every summit!

Postby TalusMonkeys sister » Mon May 14, 2007 6:33 pm

I just want to thank you guys for keeping up the discussion of these memorial hikes. David would be so honored. Thank you all.
Thank you all for loving my brother and being his friends. You all sound like amazing friends. I can't thank you enough. Holly Newsome

Postby mtgirl » Mon May 14, 2007 6:49 pm

TalusMonkey's sister wrote:I just want to thank you guys for keeping up the discussion of these memorial hikes. David would be so honored. Thank you all.

Holly - your brother's memory will live in our hearts forever, as he will yours. He was a friend to all.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby dwomer » Mon May 14, 2007 8:30 pm

Great idea. I will be there along with some friends.
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Junior

Kiefer

Postby Kiefer » Mon May 14, 2007 9:28 pm

For the 'PROPER' June date, memorial hike, some of us should carpool down there. I'm willing to drive down. I can take 3 people comfortably if anyone is interested. As I understand it, this will be a 1-day outing. A there-and-back kind of thing. Sure cut down on the cost of gas. 8)

Postby Aspen Summit » Mon May 14, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi All!

If the NFS doesn't want a plaque up there atop the summit, what about a simple memorial stone as Colson suggested? I saw one atop Quandary in a climb with my best friend in August, 2004. For TalusMonkey, we should get a BIG ROCK -- as big as Humboldt so we can climb it! 8)

*Cowboy hat off to Mr. Todd Ewers & TalusMonkey*

Knight
Follow Your Path! Cross ALL Boundaries!! AND RIDE THE EARTH, BABY!!!

Kiefer

Postby Kiefer » Mon May 14, 2007 9:54 pm

USAKeller wrote:Just so everyone knows... I will not be able to attend the memorial hike in June- my grandmother will be celebrating her 98th birthday (same birthday as David's!) and I'm sure we'll be doing something that weekend. But, I definitely will be there for the memorial hike in August, hopefully spreading his ashes on Humboldt.

Un-fuc*ingbelievable. :-s

PreviousNext