Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Tribute Asscent

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

Postby Piker » Wed May 09, 2007 1:17 pm

reiwan, I am from the Springs area and will be leaving the night before. I will find some place to setup camp and meet up with everyone the next morning.
Have you ever stopped to think....then forget to start again?

Postby Matt » Wed May 09, 2007 1:30 pm

Darryl Dunlap wrote:
del_sur wrote:If there is too much snow in June, I'm gonna go in August, but will be happy to help out with logistics of both events

A majority of the snow should be gone by June 16th down lower. The slope is a south facing one, so the sun should clear most of the trails by then. The Sangres typically are a dryer area leading to a faster melt off.
Right now, the South Colony Lakes Snotel Station is showing about 64 inches of snow at 10800ft. elevation. The station usually quits calculating data around May25th, which means that the snow level is above 10800ft at that time.
Here is the site link to track the snow...

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/sno ... 3&state=co

Thanks again, DD. I will be watching the snow levels.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Darryl Dunlap » Wed May 09, 2007 1:32 pm

charla wrote:I'm in...will the snow be melted enough by the end of June?? However, I won't miss it! I'm still reeling from the news. =(

I just ran a snowpack calculation from the NOAA webservice on the Humboldt area and it shows that snow levels should be quite minimal by mid-June. There will be pockets of snow in gullies and in shaded areas, but for the most part, the trail will be clear.
Here is a quote from TM's own trip report from June 2006.
I was determined to bag Humbolt on this trip and the sky was looking favorable. Jamie headed back to his low camp at the TH and I headed up to the Upper Lake and Humbolt at about 2010. Feeling quite tired, I reached the Humbolt saddle at about 2135. The almost full moon was providing plenty of light for a night ascent. I summited Humbolt at 2230. There is NOT A LICK of snow between the 2WD parking at 8,800 and Humbolt‘s summit at 14,064.
"A great loss of a wonderful person clouds us tonight, Rest In Peace David...."

Postby Jon Frohlich » Wed May 09, 2007 1:37 pm

I was determined to bag Humbolt on this trip and the sky was looking favorable. Jamie headed back to his low camp at the TH and I headed up to the Upper Lake and Humbolt at about 2010. Feeling quite tired, I reached the Humbolt saddle at about 2135. The almost full moon was providing plenty of light for a night ascent. I summited Humbolt at 2230. There is NOT A LICK of snow between the 2WD parking at 8,800 and Humbolt‘s summit at 14,064.

June 2006 might not be the most fair comparison for snow conditions. The Sangres were way below average last year. There should still be fairly minimal snow but I wouldn't expect none. Last year I did California over Memorial Day and ran into 0 snow as well. I wouldn't expect that to be the case this year. Either way it shouldn't be a big issue.

Postby Skitch14 » Wed May 09, 2007 1:40 pm

My wife and I are now planning on making the trip up for the August 15th hike. We would love to meet some of you and pay our respects to David as well. Mark us down, we will be there unless we are unable to get off work or if something unexpected comes up.

-Mat S.

Postby Matt » Wed May 09, 2007 1:43 pm

I have a question. Are they going to close the road up to S. Colony Lakes this year? People were talking about this last fall, but I don't remember any details.
Sorry to the other guy who started a thread asking this same question, but this thread's getting more views.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List

Postby Charla aka Chulabelle » Wed May 09, 2007 4:59 pm

Thanks to TM for ALL his reports. Man, he was devoted! Gotta love that! I would agree this year has seen a lot of snow! What a long winter! But, we'll hope for a quick melt-off and a successful summit of Humbolt in June 2007!!!
Gone missing in the shrewd, sharp moon
Full and too soon
Was my fickle doom
As I crawled among its hungry womb
Charla Stilling

Postby tshesky » Wed May 09, 2007 5:42 pm

reiwan wrote:Its probably too early to plan for the august trip, but looking at the calendar, so far I count 35 people. Anyone else coming from the Co Springs area willing to do a mass exodus down to the mountain?

I'd sure like to, depending on the date... I work an awkward schedule sometimes. Keep me posted.
For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Postby COmedic04 » Wed May 09, 2007 6:05 pm

tshesky wrote:I'd sure like to, depending on the date... I work an awkward schedule sometimes. Keep me posted.

Well, I'm not a news anchor :wink: , but my schedule's pretty erratic as well...but I'd definitely be down for doing some carpooling...can fit myself and 2 (comfortably) or 3 (squeeze) in my Jeep!!
Paramedic: Drive safe, or I'll see you naked!!

"The mountains are not stadiums where I satisfy my ambition to achieve, they are the cathedrals where I practice my religion."
- Anatoly Boukreev

Postby JeffR » Wed May 09, 2007 9:53 pm

+1 for August 15.

Postby USAKeller » Wed May 09, 2007 9:54 pm

To everyone,
I think the response to these hikes has been wonderful- especially for the August 15th climb to honor David and I meeting for the first time.
How long after arriving at someone's house is it appropriate to ask for the WiFi password?

Postby CO Native » Thu May 10, 2007 10:34 am

Be careful setting up this hike. Don't get too organized. Max group size in the Wilderness area I think is 12. Anyway it's less than the number that will be showing up. If you all "coincidentally" show up on the same day, no problem. If you look like one big group you may have trouble. Keep in mind you will be dealing with a government agency, so wording is key.

Second you will not be able to post a plaque in the Wilderness area, but the road and a small area around it is not wilderness. An excellent location would be at the TH at the bottom of the couloir. If you put some effort into it as well, you may be able to get that trail named after him. (There is no trail up the couloir, I'm referring to the one that starts at the base of the couloir but heads West to the standard route.)

Please, climb the standard route and do not attempt to visit the location he fell. This area is dangerous in the summer and winter. Try to keep the group safe. Snow conditions on the standard route should pretty much be a non issue by the time you intend to go.

I am hoping to work this hike into my schedule, but cannot say one way or the other yet. Well, if I happen to be there and a lot of you just happen to show up that day as well that would be cool. :wink:
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com

PreviousNext