Climber injured and stranded on Humboldt Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
ColoMtnHiker
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoMtnHiker »

Weather reports indicate additional snow south of Denver with up to 10 inches in the southern mountains. Lets hope that SARS gets him down quickly without any additonal injuries. If it is TM he should have the skills to get through this if not too badly injured and I am sure that if USAKeller was with him that she can lead the SARS team right to him.

A quiet prayer for all involved. Good luck!
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

I know TalusMonkey and USAKeller are smart climbers but do you think they would have brought shelter (tents, sleeping bags, etc) for a hike up Humboldt? I hope they are OK, safe, and warm. It would be awful to be up there right now given the current conditions.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
Brent D
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brent D »

I know I don't post too much here on 14ers.com, just plenty of lurking, but I too feel like I've gotten to know those two through their great posts! I know we're all speculating that it is in fact them, but regardless of who it is, my thoughts and best wishes go out to them!!
OBX Fisherman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBX Fisherman »

Hi, I'm TalusMonkey's best friend from back east in NC. I spoke with USAKeller this evening and in fact TalusMonkey did suffer some sever injuries while descending the peak today. The SAR was called off for the night and will resume in the morning. I've only had a brief conversation from USAKeller and she left him with 2 sleeping bags, not sure if they got the tent erected. I know David will do the best he can in this situation. I hope he can stay warm tonight. SAR has his GPS coordinates so finding him should not be a problem. I'm hoping for the best...

Gary
88 XJ, 2 door, RE 4.5" lift + LA, 33" Swamper LTB, Hurculined, Caged, locked.
62 CJ-5 in process of restification.
92 4Runner, POS DD
85 yota truck, doner vehicle
mildly neurotic
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mildly neurotic »

Any indication as to his location and/or elevation? That would be a huge factor considering the weather tonight. The fact that SAR called it off even with exact GPS coords would make me think he is above treeline? We are all a community here and most of us wish were were out there right now rather than watching helplessly.
ascent+descent=fun
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ascent+descent=fun »

thanks for the info...do you know what happened?
wasclywabbit
14ers: 33  3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by wasclywabbit »

Dang that sucks. Based on what I've seen in his posts he's smart, so I'm sure that he'll get through this adventure none the worse for wear.

Still my thoughts and prayers go out to him.
cgandy2003
14ers: 13 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by cgandy2003 »

Best wishes...
"Mountains are cathedrals: grand and pure, the houses of my religion. I go to them as humans go to worship...From their lofty summits, I view my past, dream of the future, and with unusual acuity I am allowed to experieince the present moment. My strength renewed, my vision cleared, in the mountains I celebrate creation. On each journey I am reborn." - Anatoli Boukreev
AzScott
14ers: 58 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AzScott »

If anyone can come through this, it's our man David. And I haven't met a better-equipped climbing companion either. Hang in there man
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

AzScott wrote:If anyone can come through this, it's our man David. And I haven't met a better-equipped climbing companion either. Hang in there man
Amen brother. My thoughts and prayers are out there.
OBX Fisherman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBX Fisherman »

From what USAKeller said the SAR was called off tonight because of too much danger of avalanche. The team was making slow progress up due to heavy gear and lots of snow.

She said David was "glacading" (sp?) down a section of mountain and picked up too much speed and could not stop due to no ice ax and went over an edge and landed on some rocks. She said he could not move one arm and one leg.

I know he will make it.

Gary
88 XJ, 2 door, RE 4.5" lift + LA, 33" Swamper LTB, Hurculined, Caged, locked.
62 CJ-5 in process of restification.
92 4Runner, POS DD
85 yota truck, doner vehicle
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

My thoughts and prayers for him too.