Climber injured and stranded on Humboldt Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I have not posted anything on this thread until now, but I have read every single one. Search and Rescue thanks you for all of your prayers and support through all of this. I don't really know how to express myself right now other than to say I'm truly sorry we were unable to save him.

I have written a page with some of the photos I took on this mission. I did not take much time to edit it so I apologize if parts don't make sense. I just wanted to be able to put something out there to show the amount of effort put forth by so many people.

http://www.hikingintherockies.com/TM/talusmonkey.htm
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
FlyGirl
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FlyGirl »

Thanks CO Native! I have been wondering how you are doing and hope that you are well. You are a true Saint in my books!
Move like a heron, not like a water buffalo

colopilot2002
Trip Reports (0)

Post by colopilot2002 »

Thank you for that CO Native, it really brings to light the extent of what the conditions on the mt were like. You guys did an amazing job getting him out of there. Again congrats and it great to know you guys are out there.
Tread light, leave only foot prints and take only memories...
rlynn
14ers: 10 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by rlynn »

CO Native, I know I speak for everyone when I say thank you. You and several others associated with this rescue mission put yourselves in harm's way to help another human being in ominous conditions. I now have a greater appreciation for all that you did because of your report. I know everyone did absolutely everything they could in order to save David, but it was his time. He was such an amazing person that even God wants to spend time with him now.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.
-Ryan
Piker
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Piker »

CO Native, I applaud you and the rest of the SARs team for the job you do and under some of the most extreme conditions.
Have you ever stopped to think....then forget to start again?
reiwan
Trip Reports (0)

Post by reiwan »

Thank you for taking the time to write that CONative. Im sure it was very hard, to put pictures and words into it after what has happened.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Josh: thank you for that. You, your teammates, and Caroline did your best.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
ontopoftheworld
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ontopoftheworld »

Josh - Wow. Reading your report was a truly incredible experience. I almost felt like I was there and wanted to help David. It just reinforces the fact that you and the rest of the SAR team are absolutely heroes. I hope to meet you someday and buy you a beer. Thank you.
Buckeye
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Buckeye »

Agreed, thank you for that posting CO Native.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CO Native, thanks for all the effort you do in SAR. I pray that no one else on this forum (or elsewhere) will ever need it, but you and SAR should be thanked for all your efforts.
Kiefer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kiefer »

Thanks for taking the time and posting these pics and text, Co Native.
What you uploaded here, I think, really drives it home at how much the SARS crew worked and the (obvisouly) dangerous conditions that David had to endure throughout the night and the rescue crew the following morning.
I can't help thinking, David was divinely luckly that a small avy didn't occur overnight on the slope where he was left.

I have a tremendous new found respect for search and rescue.
Bodacious
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bodacious »

CO Native,

Thanks for the link. You really captured the day. I guess we rode the cat back together. Red coat? I was the "comfortable" one in the green coat (3rd to last pic).

Pleasure working with you. You guys did an unbelievable job up there. Um, hope to not see you again for a while.

:wink:
Last edited by Bodacious on Wed May 09, 2007 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To travel, to experience and learn: that is to live."
- Tenzing Norgay