Climber injured and stranded on Humboldt Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Geof3
14ers: 23  5  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Geof3 »

Bad deal... Hope he fares well. Glad he has a couple of bags, but his injuries are the troublesome part of this. A night out is manegable when healthy, much more difficult with potentially severe injuries.

Prayers to both... USA-K must be in anquish having to leave him up there. All will be well!!!
Blue Steel
Jcwhite
14ers: 58  55  13 
13ers: 54 3 1
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jcwhite »

ScottieB wrote:
OBX Fisherman wrote:From what USA Keller said the SAR was called off tonight because of too much danger of avalanche. The team was making slow progress up due to heavy gear and lots of snow.

She said David was "glacading" (sp?) down a section of mountain and picked up too much speed and could not stop due to no ice ax and went over an edge and landed on some rocks. She said he could not move one arm and one leg.

I know he will make it.

Gary
My prayers for David tonight. I assume SAR will start early tomorrow morning? Did both of them fall on the glissade or just David? Or was David the only one injured in the fall?
Caroline didnt fall...David was the only one injured.

I feel ya man, thoughts and prayers your way David.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming WOW! WHAT A RIDE."- Hunter S Thompson
Darryl Dunlap
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Darryl Dunlap »

My prayers go out to you David, with warmth thoughts and quick rescue. If anyone can pull through this, you can. We're looking forward to seeing you back here.
"A great loss of a wonderful person clouds us tonight, Rest In Peace David...."
Meteor
14ers: 39 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Meteor »

KKTV posted a brief about it this morning, nothing more than what has already been mentioned in this thread, though:

http://www.kktv.com/news/headlines/7367516.html
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

Godspeed to the SARS team this morning!
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
intrinsic
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by intrinsic »

SAR will get them out! I'm not a religious person but I am praying a lot for these two! Godspeed! GO SAR!!!
Ad alta!!! -Latin for "To the summit!!!"
Slow Moving Fun Seeker
14ers: 24 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Slow Moving Fun Seeker »

A prayer to the universe for a quick and safe rescue and return.
We are not passengers; we are crew.
FlyGirl
14ers: 23 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by FlyGirl »

Oh no! Talusmonkey! Where was your Reddi-Whip? You could have engaged the emergency switch on the side of the can which releases the motherload of cream and landed in a big puffy pile of the whipped stuff.

No seriously! I am concerned. I know you'll pull through A-OK!

I want a full trip report on your safe return!
Move like a heron, not like a water buffalo

guitmo223
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by guitmo223 »

This is the first I've heard of this and it is pretty scary. I don't know how much snow the Sangres got, but we got at least a foot here in Woodland.

I'm kind of surprised that David would have tried glissading without an ice axe, but I guess I've done that before and I've been lucky.

Well, my prayers are going out to you right now TM. Bueno suerte!
"Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred it be postponed" - Sir Winston Churchill
getout!
Trip Reports (0)

monkey rescue

Post by getout! »

Purple satin pimp suits must pick up lots of speed in spring conditions...a bling'd out iced up gold pimp cane could have been used for self arrest....maybe next time.

Best wishes to a safe rescue and speedy recovery.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Best Wishes

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Best wishes to TalusMonkey. I'm sure that he had the savvy to make it through the night. It helps to have a first-rate partner like USAKeller. I hope that we'll be able to help him during his recovery.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Rockymtnhigh69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Rockymtnhigh69 »

This is terrible news.. I hope he is ok and whisked off the mountain shortly.. Prayers go out to you TM.. Hang in there USAKELLER.. He will be ok..
On my first take-off, I hit second gear and went through the speed limit on a two-lane blacktop highway full of ranch traffic. By the time I went up to third, I was going 75 and the tach was barely above 4000 rpm....
And that's when the Ducati got its second wind. From 4000 to 6000 in third will take you from 75 mph to 95 in two seconds - and after that, Bubba, you still have fourth, fifth, and sixth. Ho, ho.

~Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

(VT)