Missing hikers in the area of Missouri/Oxford/Belford

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
MtnHub
14ers: 28 
13ers: 23
Trip Reports (50)

Re: Missing hikers in the area of Missouri/Oxford/Belford

Post by MtnHub »

mcquentin wrote: Shame on those of you for the negative responses. I have no doubt he will plan an awesome and safe trip.
I'm sorry, but I guess I don't see anything particularly negative in the responses given to Mr. Vosh. A few may have come across a little blunt, but I truly think all were offered out of a sincere concern about the safety for him and his group, especially since the thread was started as an alert to such an incident.

We read all the time about inexperienced people heading up into the mountains with little forethought and preparation and getting into some kind of trouble. Mr. Vosh's profile lead us to believe he might be one of those individuals. This was his first post, his listed 14ers count is very limited, and he asks a question that might seem to some inappropriate as well as a bit naive.

It's also one thing to ask it for your own accord, but when we're told he is leading a group of teenagers as well, that could magnify the problem substantially.

Mr. Vosh may very well be an extremely experienced outdoor youth leader with over 100,000' annual elevation gain, but we cannot discern that from what he has disclosed. If he is confident and comfortable with his experience and the responsibility for his group, he will simply shrug off the cautionary comments of others. I sincerely wish him and his troupe a wonderful and safe trip.

But I would much rather risk mildly offending someone by offering a little help and caution when it may appear due and appropriate rather than risk reading about another catastrophe in the paper the next day.

I'm very glad to know these two young women are safe and sound, but I don't think they should feel obligated to disclose any details about their account. I'm also very thankful for all the search and rescue teams. What a wonderful group of dedicated individuals they are! =D>

Climb on but climb safe! :-D