North Maroon Heli Rescue

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

North Maroon Heli Rescue

Post by James Dziezynski »

JROCK just texted me that her group came upon a badly injured, unresponsive male hiker at 11,200 ft on North Maroon Peak. Heli rescue effort is underway. Don't have any other details, but hope the hiker will be ok.
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: North Maroon Heli Rescue

Post by nyker »

Oh man, hate to hear that.
Hoping for the best...
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Sad to say the hunter found injured on North Maroon at approx 12k this morning did not survive. Thoughts and prayers for the family.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

Praying for his family.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

I hope there's not two people - hunters and hikers don't usually look alike.
James Dziezynski
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

It's the same person, the hunter (my text came directly from the hikers who found him this morning).
http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2 ... /15256451/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/12930938 ... ak-sheriff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

iholdthepain wrote:You can hunt for mountain goats? Why would someone want to do this?
http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesR ... ndGoat.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't hunt, but I assume for the same reason people would want to hunt any animal.
Hypersnow
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hypersnow »

Mountain goats are not native to Colorado, and were introduced for the express purpose of hunting in the late 70's. I do not hunt, but it is an important element in population control, as there are very few natural predators left in Colorado.
happymtnclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by happymtnclimber »

There are also very few tags for animals such as mountain goats, and one will likely have to put in for a tag multiple years before actually getting one. Same process as for deer or elk, but it is much harder to actually get the tag.
GeezerClimber
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

Hypersnow wrote:Mountain goats are not native to Colorado, and were introduced for the express purpose of hunting in the late 70's. I do not hunt, but it is an important element in population control, as there are very few natural predators left in Colorado.
I believe the introduction occurred in the 1940s in the Salida area. There is some evidence they were here in the 19th century and the issue has been debated. One of the concerns is that they displace bighorns.

Dave
I fall a lot
Trip Reports (0)

Post by I fall a lot »

Sounds like he was carrying about 100lb of goat down the mountain.

I'm sorry he passed.

I'm sorry the goat died.

On a side note, I can't imagine goats being difficult to hunt? Dressing and hauling the meat seems like the hard part.