Chicago Lakes

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Chicago Lakes

Post by griddles »

Just wondering, while we were hiking down saw the sheriff, paramedics and a mountain rescue going up the Chicago lakes trail. Just hoping everyone got home safe.
I am the marmot
14ers: 35 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Chicago Lakes

Post by I am the marmot »

The accident was a volunteer forest service worker who was trying to clear a portion of the trail from a winter blowdown. He missed a branch with his axe and planted it in his shin. Result - a 4" gash to the bone. My husband and I were 2 of the 4 first responders. We were able to eventually stop the bleeding and called 911 immediately. We all stayed with him until Alpine Search and Rescue came and got him out. (Those guys rock!!!) \:D/
griddles
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by griddles »

Thanks for the info. I remember passing him on his way up. Glad to hear that it wasn't something even more serious (not that this isn't serious).
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Ouch! Here's hoping there are no unexpected complications and that he recovers well.
Broken Knee
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Broken Knee »

I am the marmot wrote:We all stayed with him until Alpine Search and Rescue came and got him out. (Those guys rock!!!) \:D/
That's commendable!
When life gets you down, climb!