Climbing Death on Longs Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Climbing Death on Longs Peak

Post by unclegar »

Saw the helicopter lift the body bag with a long cable and then fly away. I was coming down the trough at the time. Talk about a sobering reminder of the ever-present dangers in this activity. :(

The area appeared to be below the 'false keyhole' which is also the area with the spikes and slick rock in the ledges section.
Last edited by unclegar on Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
tfelix
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tfelix »

Tragic. Condolences to family and friends.
The fall certainly occurred from well above The Ledges portion of the Keyhole route based on what I saw. And it was before (when ascending) the area of the railroad spike. I hope the investigation helps to clear up some of the mystery, provide some closure, and provide some good lessons for the rest of us.
wondering_hough
14ers: 40  3 
13ers: 57 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wondering_hough »

My thoughts and prayers are with the family during this tough time. My first hike through here was yesterday and I was mindful and respectful of this entire mountain and the lives it has taken. Too many people have been lost to it.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know.
René Daumal
SeattleHc100er
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SeattleHc100er »

I was descending the Keyhole route around the Trough area with Unclegar when the helicopter came to take the body away. It broke my heart to see such a sight, being that my first summit of Longs was such a rewarding and fun mountaineering experience. From the sight where the helicopter dropped the line, it seemed as though the climber fell from the false keyhole area above the standard Keyhole route. I'm not certain how it happened, but it was definitely in an area of exposure where a lapse of judgement or concentration would produce serious consequences. Prayers to all family and friends of the climber. I feel like all hikers and climbers are my friends when on the same mountain together. So in that sense, it felt like losing a friend.
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

RIP climber, condolences to the family. The "rebar" area on the ledges can be somewhat slick IIRC, the rock is polished from hundreds of thousands of hands and feet.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Very sad to learn of another tragedy on Longs Peak this summer. My condolences go out to the family and friends of the victim. RIP
JB99 wrote:... Here's the article: http://www.coloradoan.com/story/news/lo ... /13193723/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The video segment of this article contains an interview with a RMNP Park Ranger. She emphasizes that "Longs Peak is a climb, not a hike". She also states that 25,000 people leave the Longs Peak trailhead each year and ~10,000 people summit. Granted not all of those people are attempting to summit Longs but I am still surprised by that low of a success rate.
ameristrat
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (9)

Post by ameristrat »

MonGoose wrote:Granted not all of those people are attempting to summit Longs but I am still surprised by that low of a success rate.
I remember seeing tons of people in the congo line up to the keyhole in jeans and sneakers - some without backpacks or water! Many of these people were gassed and/or turned around before the keyhole. I bet at least 1/3 of the people on the trail with me did this.

Someone once told me that 70% of people climbing Longs do not summit - I thought that seemed really low. 40% success still sounds a little low, but based on the preparation I saw, I wouldn't be surprised if the success rate was somewhere around 50%.
You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know. - Rene Daumal
mtnjim
14ers: 57 
13ers: 215
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtnjim »

From my own experience I find it very hard to believe that 2 of 5 people who leave the trailhead are heading for the summit. I'm going over there in a little while. This will be my 4th time there in the last 2 weeks and at least the 20th or more time this year. None of my visits have been for a summit attempt. Of the people I talk to, most are going someplace other than the summit, Chasm Lake being the most popular.

Of course, given my usual start time, I'm more likely to run into summit folks coming down the trail, only overnighters on the way up.
James Dziezynski
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by James Dziezynski »

It's heartbreaking. I preach the message to anyone who will listen that Longs is no joke, despite the popularity -- for that matter, any class 3 peak should be treated with serious respect. I can't tell you how many times people express an interest in hiking Longs as their first 14er. Unless they already have some mountain time under their belts, I'll do my best to talk them out of it.

RIP
“Dogs teach us a very important lesson in life: The mail man is not to be trusted.” — Sian Ford
dnye
14ers: 17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dnye »

Here is the spot with the rebar...

It is an awkward spot due to the angle of the rock on the mountain and wear and tear over the years on the rocks nearby.
Dobbins
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dobbins »

[quote="ameristrat"}

I remember seeing tons of people in the congo line up to the keyhole in jeans and sneakers - some without backpacks or water! Many of these people were gassed and/or turned around before the keyhole. I bet at least 1/3 of the people on the trail with me did this.
[/quote]

I did it on 7/25 and there was a ton of people who reach the keyhole and stop. Some have the keyhole as their ultimate goal and just don't feel comfortable continuing, and good for them for knowing their limits. Other people reach it and realize what is in store either the dangers, the trough, or the altittude, and they call it there. On Saturday, several people said they thought it was too windy to continue, although if you moved about 40 feet past the keyhole all the wind stopped.
Dobbins
14ers: 12 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dobbins »

djkest wrote:RIP climber, condolences to the family. The "rebar" area on the ledges can be somewhat slick IIRC, the rock is polished from hundreds of thousands of hands and feet.
I saw the spot where the climber was killed, and it was a ways before the rebar. According to people who were there the day before, the climber had climbed up towards the fake keyhole and fell down to the path.