Rockslide Mt Princeton

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Rarefied
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Rockslide Mt Princeton

Post by Rarefied »

mountaintan wrote:I agree, that looks like a stock photo of how the falls usually look. Positive thoughts and prayers for all those involved. It's been a hard couple of weeks here in Buena Vista...hoping for the best!
Now that I've clicked on the larger version of the photo those are clearly everyday visitors. :oops:

BTW, notice in the other link the remark about a sign warning of falling rock.

R
Rarefied
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rarefied »

Channel 4 just did a "live shot" from the scene and it doesn't sound good. The reporter said he has been told it is not being actively searched due to too much ongoing instability in the area. He also said that some boulders were 10-30 tons -- I hope he had that wrong. On the good side of the ledger he reported that the 13 year-old girl had been pulled out and transported to Denver medical facilities.

R
ahrendse
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 44 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ahrendse »

This is a picture from last May.

I think all of the pictures from the 7News article are stock. Photo 1 would be someone standing in the yellow square looking down. Photos 2 and 4 are views in the red square. Photo 3 is roughly the view shown in the yellow square, which is why the water flow can't be seen.

The rock is pretty solid below the falls and gets progressively looser higher up. A rock slide could easily occur in the yellow square and affect people below.

This is such a beautiful place and easily accessible to all levels of hikers. Very sad to hear about this accident.
Attachments
agnes vaille falls.png
agnes vaille falls.png (304.66 KiB) Viewed 2813 times
https://listsofjohn.com/m/ahrendse
`You might just as well say that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!'
Derby Ale
14ers: 26 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Derby Ale »

Thanks for that shot. I forgot about that area to the left. I was thinking of the slab further up to the left of that.

This is the place I was thinking of at first.
Attachments
AVF May.jpg
AVF May.jpg (140.84 KiB) Viewed 2688 times
susanjoypaul
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

I’ve been thinking about this all day, and have just been sick to my stomach. It’s hard to imagine a place of such beauty, that attracts the casualest of hikers and their families, as the site of such horrific tragedy. Hoping for any good news at all. My thoughts are with the injured, the friends, the families, and the rescue teams.
bob863
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bob863 »

Channel 9 (KUSA) just reported that the 5 people buried under the rockslide have been declared deceased. RIP.

My thoughts and feelings going out to their families.
mtgirl
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

I just heard the same news. How horrible. My thoughts and prayers are with all those involved in this tragedy.
Scotzman
14ers: 14  1 
13ers: 7 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Scotzman »

What a horrible tragedy, my prayers go out to the family and friends of the victims. :(
Scotzman
Every man dies, not every man really lives.
What we do in life echoes in eternity.
Rarefied
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rarefied »

'Hope they were all laughing & full of big smiles from having just seen the falls moments before ....

R
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

+1 rarefied. I too hope their last moments were wonder-filled. Prayers for the recovery of the young girl. Sounds like she will endure more than physical pain. so very sad.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
MountainHiker
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to their family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

How terrible...my parents had taken me on that same hike on many occasions, ever since I was about 4 years old! It is one of my fondest memories as a very young child...I can't believe such a tragedy occurred there! Wishing the best for everyone!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott