NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN - Missing hiker on Mt Harvard/Columbia

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Re: NEED YOUR HELP AGAIN - Missing hiker on Mt Harvard/Colum

Post by CO Native »

I spent the day on this search with an amazing group of people and can assure you that all the places suggested in this thread were searched today and more. Unfortunately Gene was not located yet. Conditions were not in our favor, but still a lot of ground was covered today.
Kroenke Conditions
Kroenke Conditions
IMG_0720 (2) (1024x768).jpg (578.48 KiB) Viewed 5920 times
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Relative to Zero
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Relative to Zero »

Im guessing the old mine (if its not collapsed, didnt get close enough to check it out when I passed it) and most of the cracks in the boulder field on the traverse was also checked then. I hope for the best.
summitstep
14ers: 15 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

I am praying for safe returns from these two hikers. Praying for their families as well as they endure this time of uncertainty. And praying for the SARs folks and volunteers. Its hard to appreciate the beauty of the mountains when you confront the reality that the wilderness is still wild and we are not invincible.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

@Co_Native - Ditto what Dex wrote. Thanks for all you do, Josh...
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
CO Native
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

I'm glad to help but I just play a small role among many other people. It was a huge effort that's been going on for several days. I could only get one day off of work to help out.
Tortoise1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

Josh, what is SAR's thinking on volunteer searchers? More trouble than they are worth? Obviously anyone can go out there and hike around but would have to go off the grid to be of any real value.
CO Native
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Volunteer searchers are rarely used as part of the formal operations. However SAR generally tries to educate anyone going into the area so that they can search while they hike. The area would still need to be searched by SAR personnel but if someone else were to get there first and find them that just speeds up the rescue.

Sometimes the circumstances will require the area be closed to the public and no one else can be in the area but that is rare.
GeezerClimber
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GeezerClimber »

The command post is set up within sight of our house. Lots of activity the last two days. Many searchers, choppers coming and going. As of 4 PM, no sign of the missing hiker. Looks like they are winding down for today.

Dave
ultragirl
14ers: 46 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ultragirl »

A friend and I attempted Columbia Monday morning and the weather was terrible. The winds had to be about 40mph+, snow was ankle deep and it was bitter cold. I really hope they find him. Prayers for all involved!!
summitstep
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summitstep »

Just read in local Ohio news they called off the search for Gene on Harvard. Very sad. Being a 61 YO Buckeye this hits way too close. Thoughts and prayers to all concerned.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."
Klinger1986
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Klinger1986 »

summitstep wrote:Just read in local Ohio news they called off the search for Gene on Harvard. Very sad. Being a 61 YO Buckeye this hits way too close. Thoughts and prayers to all concerned.
http://fox8.com/2013/09/25/search-calle ... ing-hiker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is heart breaking. I hope his family can find some sort of resolution to this situation. Thank you SAR for your tireless efforts, and we will keep the family in our thoughts and prayers.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” -Dr. Seuss
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

My condolences to Gene George’s family and friends.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert