NEED YOUR HELP - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
bethtrombone
14ers: 58  1  1 
13ers: 29 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: NEED YOUR HELP - Missing hiker in the Crestones

Post by bethtrombone »

Mark is my friend's brother-in-law. This is a link to his wife Michelle's Facebook page, on which she has posted more pictures of Mark that are recent.

https://www.facebook.com/sticemichelle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can and will remind you of two of the most important facts I know:
1. Everything is part of the mystery.
2. It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
-Tom Robbins
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Alpine Rescue Team wrote:I just got off the phone (17:00) with the SAR Team and they have not suspended the search and will continue searching this week
The search for Mark is still ongoing according to Woody. [-o<
cindyh
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cindyh »

The search for Mark Stice has not yet been suspended; but it has been scaled back. There have been teams in the field for five straight days, as of today; with a monumental effort =D> given this past Tuesday. Sunday's snow continues to melt, though conditions are still considered dangerous.

A cold front is moving through the area tonight and tomorrow - with very high winds - but we are cautiously optimistic that precipitation will be light and that weather for this weekend could be the best that we've yet to see.

There is a tentative plan for resources to head over BHP on Saturday, to take another / a closer look in that area. None of the five peaks in the Crestone Group have been eliminated entirely from the search area, as Mark left no itinerary and few clues.
CindyH
beezer11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by beezer11 »

Any news about Mark Stice after the search today?
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

Doesn't sound like it. The news is reporting that the search has been suspended.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article ... sing-hiker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Truly heart breaking :cry: ...especially hits close to home because I have two boys the same age and a girl on the way....
Mark Stice is a family man with two young daughters.

“How do you explain to a 3- and a 5-year-old where daddy is? It’s not an easy thing,”
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/09/29/m ... -optimism/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
388993_102581769947354_1053872421_n.jpg
388993_102581769947354_1053872421_n.jpg (117.05 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
Last edited by geojed on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
thericks
Trip Reports (1)

Post by thericks »

This hits home. He is my boyfriends boss. Praying for him and his family. They've suspended the search, they did find his campsite but have not found him.
thericks
Trip Reports (1)

Post by thericks »

http://m.gazette.com/search-for-missing ... le/1506973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The search has been called off. This is my boyfriends boss, he said they did find his camping spot but they have not found Mark.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Two young kids.

This sucks.
please rotate your device
Cookiehiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Cookiehiker »

My heart goes out to his loved ones...still hoping for a miracle though until there is a conclusion to his whereabouts.
C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

The picture of his two little girls truly breaks my heart. Still trying to remain positive and hoping for the best. My thoughts are with his family - the unknown is agonizing. :cry:
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

The mystery of it is just maddening. How could two experienced hikers just disappear into thin air like that, at virtually the same time.