Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Rest in Peace, Terry Mathews

Postby Louis Mathews » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:43 pm

Thank You for sharing Terry's trip reports. I don't have access to the ones he has saved since he gave computer to a friend. There is a great need by 14ers .com to get trip data as well, maps, routes, tips, etc.
Attachments
SCAN0005asmall.jpg
SCAN0005asmall.jpg (45.07 KiB) Viewed 1580 times
Louis W Mathews

Postby klinger » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:59 pm

Mr. Matthews thank you for so quickly becoming a part of this family. Usually there is some kind of vaccuum left after a tragedy and it seems like the closure and openness that you are bringing is some sort of vehicle for healing all around. So, so sorry for your loss and again thank you for letting us all grieve together with you.

RiP Terry.

Postby Louis Mathews » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:20 am

All you're posts are a gift that has me in awe of Terry. In his short 38 years he became a mountain of a man who was mild mannered and compassionate. After a period of time passes and the wonderful tributes trickle to an end, I would like to have the words and photos preserved so we can create a book or video of these words and photos as a lasting tribute. I believe his life and times can be an inspiration to people from all disciplines to fulfill their life struggles no matter what they are. In this time when and how word "Hero" is thrown around as a routine moniker, there are some real "Hero's" who walk among us that are obscured by other events, but are making a difference. With all that they are doing, they are also all to human struggling with life itself. Please define Terry by the way he squeezed every good thing out of life, not the way he left it. Louis Mathews

Postby milan » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:10 am

I met Terry during the fall gathering 2011 which was organized by Britt (Globreal) we hiked Fletcher Mountain, there were a lot of people and me, Anna and Terry were about the same pace, so we went together. We were talking a lot and he surprised me because he knew about my recent fall on Pikes Peak. Than I realized, he was from Colorado Springs and hiking Pikes a lot. On the way down from Fletcher, he was a bit ahead of us and when I got to the front wall that needs some scrambling I saw him right underneath me. Anna was just about to get to him. I shouted on him to get out of there because I am going to knock some rock on him by accident and he shouted back "I fell"... What? I didn't get it first but when I got down, he confirmed, he fell from a 20 feet tall rockwall, I could not believe, he broke his glasses, had some scratch on his face but he walked away, shaken a little but OK. Than we talked about mountains and falls for the rest of the trip. I met him several more times and we always had a lot to talk about.
I am out of Colorado for almost a year now but I still feel, that there are friends who hiked the mountains with me, who I liked a lot and who I would love to hike again with. Terry was one of them. I am not regularly on this site any more and when I learned this new, it was very sad. Terry, rest in peace.

Postby Slowfoot » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:52 pm

Never met Terry but read a lot of his posts. Just starting 14ers a week before my 50th birthday, I truly appreciated the advice found here at 14ers.com. Probably like any other forum, you can quickly spot the smart folks from the posers...but Terry knew his stuff. Thanks for the guidance (and humor), Terry. I'll say a rosary for you and your family on my next hike.

Postby EVEREST DREAMS » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:49 pm

Very sorry to hear this.
I enjoyed reading about his adventures. He will be missed.

Postby wildlobo71 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:29 pm

I've been in contact with the woman who Terry gave his computer to. I don't know, right now, if this is appropriate or not but I asked her if Terry gave instructions to her or not about what to do with it, or the files on it. She said he hadn't.

I thought it might be a nice legacy for all he's done here and how he helped those with so much information to salvage his GPX and GPS files, at the very least. I know he had files for the LB/Blanca traverse I would love to have access to in case I ever wanted to do it again.

I told her I'd let her know if people thought it was a good idea. Thoughts?
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby larkinrx2 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:40 pm

wildlobo71 wrote:I've been in contact with the woman who Terry gave his computer to. I don't know, right now, if this is appropriate or not but I asked her if Terry gave instructions to her or not about what to do with it, or the files on it. She said he hadn't.

I thought it might be a nice legacy for all he's done here and how he helped those with so much information to salvage his GPX and GPS files, at the very least. I know he had files for the LB/Blanca traverse I would love to have access to in case I ever wanted to do it again.

I think "possesion" should be asked of the family and if they can agree to have the 14ers site be the host for his material. possibly offer to copyright stamp the photos to protect their rights to futher publishing if they wish to continue his calanders

I only ran into Terry once at a fall gathering but it was fun chatting with him, i was thinking about sending him a pm to help me with the Sangres and am deeply saddend of these events and a missed opportunity to hike with him
What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - That's all I need the ashtray, the remote control, the paddle game, and this magazine, and the chair and I don't need one other thing, except my dog.
[Shithead growls at him]
I don't need my dog.

Postby gwmorris » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:34 am

I am more then 1,700 miles away living at sea level on the east coast, but feel the loss of a young man who apparently loved the mountains of Colorado and the people who climb them. My condolences to family and friends.

Postby Louis Mathews » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:48 pm

Slowfoot wrote:Never met Terry but read a lot of his posts. Just starting 14ers a week before my 50th birthday, I truly appreciated the advice found here at 14ers.com. Probably like any other forum, you can quickly spot the smart folks from the posers...but Terry knew his stuff. Thanks for the guidance (and humor), Terry. I'll say a rosary for you and your family on my next hike.

Thank you for being there for Terry. I can see he loved the 14er.com community and put 100% into this endeavor. Each time you have doubts about your ability remember that Terry had those same doubts and did his best to overcome them. When he was 2 he climbed a ladder onto my Grandfathers roof. Above all know your ability and be safe.
Louis Mathews
Louis W Mathews

Postby Louis Mathews » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:39 am

larkinrx2 wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote:I've been in contact with the woman who Terry gave his computer to. I don't know, right now, if this is appropriate or not but I asked her if Terry gave instructions to her or not about what to do with it, or the files on it. She said he hadn't.

I think "possesion" should be asked of the family and if they can agree to have the 14ers site be the host for his material. possibly offer to copyright stamp the photos to protect their rights to futher publishing if they wish to continue his calanders

I only ran into Terry once at a fall gathering but it was fun chatting with him, i was thinking about sending him a pm to help me with the Sangres and am deeply saddend of these events and a missed opportunity to hike with him

Terry's friends have claimed all his property except for the items mentioned in his final message. They told me that Terry gave verbal instructions about his stuff. I am not interfering with that. As next of Kin it is my job to tie up the legal, financial, and final arrangements. My emotional state is fragile at best so I don't have the energy to take care of Terry's affairs as I should. This makes me quite sad.
Louis W Mathews

Postby Jay521 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:00 am

Louis Mathews wrote: My emotional state is fragile at best so I don't have the energy to take care of Terry's affairs as I should. This makes me quite sad.

My heart goes out to you, sir.
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

PreviousNext