Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

WyomingBob

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: WyomingBob Memorial

Postby BobbyFinn » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:23 am

I never met WyomingBob, but we exchanged some PMs and I enjoyed his trip reports. He seemed like a good guy. My condolences to his family and friends.

Postby sunny1 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Very sad.
I hadn't met Wyoming Bob, but I've enjoyed his TR's.
Seemed like a very down-to-earth guy who really loved the mountains.
Wishing his family and friends peace, healing and comfort.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana.

Postby JosephG » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:04 am

Reiterating what everyone has said, this is very sad.
I never met Wyoming Bob, but his TRs were enjoyable, folksy, and without pretention. The few PMs I exchanged with him confirmed his positive character.

Another unfortunate, untimely loss.
Condolences to family and friends.

Postby DArcyS » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:00 pm

I met Howard five years ago on James Peak and we shared a great conversation that day.

http://www.climbingwithbob.com/colorado/front/jamespeak.html

When I learned ClimbingWithBob.com was Wyoming Bob, I often thought of contacting him for a climb, but unfortunately, I'm a little bit too much of an introvert and too tied up with my own peak bagging concerns.

When I learned the accident on Jagged involved an attorney from Cheyenne, I immediately thought of Wyoming Bob and was nearly certain it was Howard based upon the photgraphs geojed uncovered. This was last weekend and just before I took off Monday for a week-long trip to climb, of all peaks, Jagged. Having returned now from the trip and the identity of Wyoming Bob positively revealed, I again offer my condolences to his family and friends. I thought of Howard frequently this last week. Rest in peace . . .

D'Arcy

Postby uwe » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:52 pm

Rest in Peace, Howard - aka Wyoming Bob.

[We never actually met.
However, our lines intersected in a funny sort of way.
Last August, during a CMC climb of Dallas, Roger and I retrieved WB's cam that he left on his Dallas Peak climb.
We got it back to him. He thought that was a hoot. We enjoyed a brief moment of community, mountaineering comrades.]

Postby jdorje » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:40 pm

RIP. This has just been an incredibly sad summer season.

susanjoypaul wrote:We need to do all we can to avoid any more fatalities this year. The rains lately have been torrential throughout the mountains, and the steep, saturated terrain is going to be even looser and more dangerous than usual for a while. Let's all be careful out there. And let's all try to be a lot nicer to each other, too.
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby summitwolf » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:56 pm

This is so sad.

I met WyomingBob (Howard) a few weeks ago. We were both camping at the same trailhead (he was climbing Deer Mtn and I was climbing Lackawanna Peak the next morning). We chatted for a long time that evening. He was such an incredibly nice guy with so much knowledge to share. His love, appreciation and respect for the mountains was truly evident. I feel very fortunate to have met him.

http://www.climbingwithbob.com/colorado/sawatch/deer.html

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
Last edited by summitwolf on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mountains have rules. They are harsh rules, but they are there, and if you keep to them you are safe. A mountain is not like men. A mountain is sincere. The weapons to conquer it exist inside you, inside your soul."

Walter Bonatti

Postby smrcka » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:42 pm

RIP Howard. I enjoyed reading his trip reports as have many others. Such a tragedy. Condolences to family and friends...
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!

Postby Rcizzle » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:52 pm

Absolutely tragic! I did not know WyomingBob or have ever met him, but I respected his insight and competence as a mountain climber on this forum.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Re: WyomingBob

Postby HikeforTurns » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:47 am

RIP Howard.

Re: WyomingBob

Postby Hungry Jack » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:19 pm

I just now realize that the Climbing with Bob website, which I have had bookmarked for years, was Wyoming Bob's. It hits home when someone whose experiences have provided you with much entertainment and information has passed.
I need more dehydrogenase.

Previous