Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Which of these weekends would you be able to attend?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am

September 21-22
20%
September 28-29
20%
October 5-6
37%
October 12-13
23%

Total votes : 119

Re: 1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Postby Kitten » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:26 pm

Nice idea Anna, thanks for organizing.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
Yoda, Star Wars.

Postby Phill the Thrill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:03 pm

semitrueskerm wrote:I love the orange hat idea. If nothing else, we could probably order a bunch somewhere online (or even get some outfitter to donate them) and it would be pretty cool to see a mountain full of climbers in orange hats. It would be a nice tribute.

I have a blaze orange Elmer Fudd hunting cap complete with ear muffs - I will definitely bring it.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney

Postby Phill the Thrill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:05 pm

FYI, October 12-13 is elk 1st rifle season, then the blaze orange caps are pretty much necessary.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney

Postby d_baker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 pm

semitrueskerm wrote:I love the orange hat idea. If nothing else, we could probably order a bunch somewhere online (or even get some outfitter to donate them) and it would be pretty cool to see a mountain full of climbers in orange hats. It would be a nice tribute.

Good luck finding some. If I recall, Steve looked and looked and was not very successful in finding in any current ones available. He was able to find a few, which he purchased. I think the one they laid out at his memorial service had to be one of the new ones, given that it wasn't faded!

Phill the Thrill wrote:

I have a blaze orange Elmer Fudd hunting cap complete with ear muffs - I will definitely bring it.

Phill the Thrill, where and when did you get yours?

Postby kushrocks » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:17 pm

dmccool wrote:I'll be there any of these weekends...rain/snow/shine

Me to.

SurfNTurf wrote: I don't think an entry fee is necessary. People will donate by the bucketload for this. There's no need to give anyone a reason to feel alienated.

Agreed
" The two most important days in your life are the day you were born, and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
"Danger in Alpinism is just part of the game. As soon as you eliminate the danger you have just every other sport." Febrizio Zangrilli
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
"To travel, to experience and learn, that is to live" - Sherpa Tensing Norgay (first person to Summit Mt. Everest)
"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit" - Edward Abbey
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."

Postby Phill the Thrill » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:26 pm

Phill the Thrill wrote:

Phill the Thrill, where and when did you get yours?[/quote]

My dad got it at a garage sale years ago and thought I would like it since I hunt. My reaction: I'd NEVER wear that. But funny how you change your mind when it's 5 degrees F. and you're walking in the snow all day looking for elk.

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:44 pm

Prefer October, but am fairly open.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright

Postby MountainHiker » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:01 pm

We won't be able to make Oct 12-13. We'll be in the Maritimes and along visiting family heading up to Mt Carleton, high point of New Brunswick. Oct 5-6 MountainHikerette won't be able to make it, but I will. We should be able to make it both weekends in Sept.

I'm pretty sure I have a blaze orange hat that will work.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert

Postby mtgirl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Thank you for organizing this hike, Anna.
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."

Postby globreal » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:21 am

This Fall Gathering is still 6 weeks out however, I am asking for your help.

I've been asked by Nona Gladbach to put together a memorial video for the family, and this gathering is a perfect way to meet up with those who knew Steve Gladbach. I am planning to attend Oct 5-6 so I can film some short interviews.

Two things:
1. If you were friends with Steve, would be willing to share a few short comments on-camera with me, and are attending this gathering would you please let me know?
2. If you were friends with Steve, would be willing to share a few short comments on-camera with me, and are NOT attending this gathering but would like to meet some other time/place for a short interview, would you let me know?

Thanks!
Britt
PM or call 719-661-4777
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

Previous