Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Which of these weekends would you be able to attend?

Poll ended at Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am

September 21-22
20%
September 28-29
20%
October 5-6
37%
October 12-13
23%

Total votes : 119
Site Administrator

Re: 1st Annual Steve Gladbach Memorial Hike

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:59 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:Just throwing it out there because the timeframe is the same and the usual organizer, KeithK, suggested it -- what about replacing the Fall Gathering with this hike, even if it's only for 2013? Steve was a staple at the Gatherings and it might lead to an even bigger turnout for a fundraising event.

I don't think an entry fee is necessary. People will donate by the bucketload for this. There's no need to give anyone a reason to feel alienated.

I like both of those ideas!
"There's no recess and no rules in the school of life" - D. Mustaine

Postby Monster5 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:01 pm

While a donation should be encouraged and is a necessity to the implementation of a training fund, I'm not certain if that sort of wording ("mandatory" or "minimum" donation) accurately reflects Steve's character. Seems like he'd be the first to throw an arm around somebody and invite them along without a thought to finances.

Donate what you can, even if it's just your presence. The amount need not be specified, formalized, or publicly disclosed, particularly when finances come secondary to remembrance.

Edit: what fishsteak said sounds good
"Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man." - Walter Bonatti

Postby Lemmiwinks » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:03 pm

SurfNTurf wrote:I don't think an entry fee is necessary. People will donate by the bucketload for this. There's no need to give anyone a reason to feel alienated.

Agree with this.

I can make any weekend other than Sept 21-22, so I voted Oct 5-6. Great idea, very much looking forward to it!
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer

Postby dmccool » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:10 pm

While donations are great and likely plentiful, nothing like this should ever be about money. Maybe the financial end of this event could be discussed through PM. IMO, it sort of takes away from the beauty of remembering and honoring Steve. As mentioned above, Steve was a cheerful giver and making giving mandatory doesn't seem Gladbach-like.

Postby d_baker » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 pm

Monster5 wrote:Seems like he'd be the first to throw an arm around somebody and invite them along without a thought to finances.

He paid for my hotel room when we stayed overnight prior to his winter finisher, just so I could be there. (Money was tight at the time, due to lack of work.)

Postby Sky » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:49 pm

This is a no-brainer! I'm in!!
"It is better to have and not need, then to need and not have"

"Life is a balance of holding on and letting go"

Postby Sugar Madison » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Sounds great, I'll try to join if the dates work out.

I'd leave the fee out of it for another reason:
Charging a mandatory/minimum/entry fee makes this a commercial event, which then requires all the red-tape of USFS permitting, insurance minimums, etc, etc.

I've run into this in my various trail running events over the years. An "official" event with an entry fee requires a permit, but a "fatass" event (ultrarunning term for a free run/race) doesn't for groups up to 75. Since this could get quite large and garner some attention, probably best to not run afoul of the permitting rules.

- Chris

Postby TheOtherIndian » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:39 pm

d_baker wrote:He paid for my hotel room when we stayed overnight prior to his winter finisher, just so I could be there. (Money was tight at the time, due to lack of work.)

Man, looks like the list of this guy's good deeds never ends!!

As for the hike, I'm in any of the weekends listed.
"There's only one thing I hate more than lying. Skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk" -Swanson, Ron

Postby I Man » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:03 pm

Fletch wrote:Anna - Would it help to split up the groups and go up different routes? I'd be interested in going up over S Elbert and meeting you all at the summit... Any thoughts?

I would be interested in that.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

"I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.

Postby IHikeLikeAGirl » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:09 pm

I'm in for any of the above. Have PM'd but have been waiting for years to meet this guy in person...this will be the closest I will get....
"If you're flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit."
- Mitch Hedberg

Postby dwoods15 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:47 pm

I'd be down for the south route.

Postby joebechina » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:11 pm

I will make any weekend work! I will be there!

PreviousNext