Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Steve Gladbach

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

Re: Steve Gladbach

Postby Papillon » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:29 pm

d_baker wrote:I think 2011 was the same year he did Dallas solo, on the last weekend of calendar winter. 20hrs or something I think! Same weekend that Ken got Teakettle I believe.

He did Dallas in the days leading up to the last weekend. We were all in Horn Fork Basin for the winter gathering that Kiefer organized on the last weekend. He arrived on Saturday for the Columbia climb on Sunday.

I heard he did it solo but never asked for any details. Kiefer or Steph would know more.
The look in his eyes when it hit - Kid, it was tasty... - William Seward Burroughs

Postby shanahan96 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:07 pm

apologies for my tardiness on the thread, thanks for the heads up mindy.

surprisingly steve "only" had 86/100 centennials, i'm constantly convincing myself the real number is 89 or 90. yes, steve's 86 is the current record ahead of the legendary ken nolan's 84. his remaining list is:

tenmile/mosquito(the shockers!)
atlantic
pacific
dyer

sawatch
lackawanna
grizzly

elks
cathedral
hagerman

san juans
rio grande pyramid
jones
teakettle
vestal
jagged
gladstone
vermillion

**steve was never sure if he summited some of the "easier" peaks so he decided not to count any summit he wasn't 100% sure was completed in calendar winter.**

the list is accurate as of february 2013. we never got a chance to chat after his march winter ending trip. man that blows.... if he summited something during that trip, please let me know and i'll update the list.

jim- i live in santiago, chile and won't be back in the states until november 15th. feel free to use them, or give them to matt. he'll get them to me. your call, i'm good with whatever. please pass my condolences along to nona and the girls.

tom- drop me a line when you feel like it. i'm always available, facebook and e-mail(jamie.princo@gmail.com) are the easiest ways to communicate with me down here. my U.S. phone will be back on nov 15/16. drop me a line when i return.

knapp- steve's summit of eolus was january 29, 2011, and that afternoon he broke a trench to treeline on jupiter. the next day he nabbed jupiter and hiked out. he decided to take a "shortcut" to 550 instead of waiting for the train and ended up wallowing through the night, uphill, to reach a road. that ended up being in a gated community and one of ladies there was none to pleased to have him hiking thru her neighborhood. she called security, the whole nine yards. some people....

kevin- dallas was a solo effort on march 11, 2011, and 20 hrs give or take sounds correct. it took him 3-4 hrs to get from the 13,700' notch to the summit, interesting snow conditions. :-D classic "gladbachin' it".

jamie

steve- i miss you. i love you man. i cried when i heard you passed, i couldn't believe it. this isn't supposed to happen to someone like you, not to an outstanding individual with a great attitude. i'll see you on the flip side.

Postby altidude » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:12 am

http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=5531&parmuser=sgladbach&cpgm=tripmain&ski=Include

I had to read this again. It's comical, ridiculous, and inspiring. Gonna miss these...
The mountain always wins, we do not always lose.

Carpe mañana

Postby AlabamaTLC » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:04 pm

For those that could not make to his Celebration of Life service...
Attachments
Steve Gladbach - Celebration of his life 1 (800x586).jpg
Steve Gladbach - Celebration of his life 1 (800x586).jpg (215.93 KiB) Viewed 1226 times
Steve Gladbach - Celebration of his life 2 (800x586).jpg
Steve Gladbach - Celebration of his life 2 (800x586).jpg (268.92 KiB) Viewed 1226 times

Postby Gene913 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:22 am

"If you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, and you say to this mountain, 'move from here to there,' it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17:21

Postby summitstep » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:56 am

To all of you.... I have been so moved by all the stories and recollections shared by you about your times and encounters with Steve. I have taken the liberty (and I apologize for that) of collecting some of your photos and making a brief slideshow which is up on youtube. Look for Steve Gladbach - a Remembrance. Think I cleaned up the audio now. Also looks like I figured out how to link; see below.
God bless the Gladbach family, and God keep all of you safe as you climb this year. I'm sure Steve will be top of mind on many summits in the coming days. Climb as he climbed, and let's all live like he lived.

http://youtu.be/GnKhg0EniDo

john
Last edited by summitstep on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 am, edited 4 times in total.
"In this high country that we love, trails are steep. We climb each mile, breath by breath, and at the threshold of pain, bliss overtakes us."

"It's called CRAZY. And somehow, when you are bent over your poles, staring at your boots- heart heaving and trying not to cough your lung onto a rock= you look up...and you are looking down over all those beautiful mountains....and you wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

"For all the richness of normal, everyday life, it is good sometimes to trespass high in the sky, and live with uncommon intensity, experiencing something that gets close to the sublime."

Postby Brian C » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:42 am

Last edited by Brian C on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth

Postby Brian Thomas » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:04 pm

mschmalz wrote:I started climbing with Steve 25 years ago when he was just 'Steve Gladbach' and not the legend he has become. Even then, I felt like a high school receiver playing catch with John Elway. His stamina and speed were ridiculous. His smile and laughter contagious. His genuine love of the mountains inspiring.

Many if not most great athletes have an ego a mile wide. Steve never even told people about his accomplishments. You could be on your first mountain or your 500th, Steve would treat you like YOU are part of the club. The only requirement...give it go. Try climbing that mountain.

Twenty years ago Steve was in his first climbing accident. When asked if he would ever climb again he answered, "Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one. Yes, I'll keep climbing."

As much as Steve loved mountains, he loved his friends and family even more. As has been mentioned in this thread, he helped dozens and dozens reach their goals. He knew that climbing was the vehicle to other success. The confidence, energy, and joy of summiting mountains boils over into our daily lives. Steve was making better people; not just successful climbers.

His greatest joy without a doubt was family. His daughters and loving family were a constant topic. He was proud of their accomplishments more than his own world-class abilities. Steve, thank you for making us laugh, reaching our goals, and inspiring us to lead lives that matter. I know you had hundreds of friends. Thank you for making me one of those.

Your words, and the words and songs of Steve's family on Saturday, are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan

Postby sanjuanmtneer » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Steve was absolutely the best a person and a mountaineer could be.
Absolutely the best.

He will always be one of my heroes, and I will think of him on every summit I climb to.
That's where he'll be.

Inspirational.
The way he lived his life makes me want to be a better man.

It was an honor to be at the ceremony Saturday.
And my mind is made up,
To climb all the mountains,
Before my body's laid up,
And the night advances.
And the time is here.
(With deference to John Dillon)

Postby chickzonsticks » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:32 pm

“Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.”
— Unknown

Wishing Steve a eternal peace and love
Brenda, tama and Pedro

Re: Steve Gladbach Memorial

Postby bglad » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:49 pm

Many Thanks to the 14ers climbing community for your outpouring of love and support for TEAM GLADBACH during this difficult time. My name is Bill Gladbach Steve's brother. I spoke at the funeral service. Britt Jones asked me to post the crux of my message about living out what Steve taught us all. So here they are; please share with any and all. Steve lived out each of these.

1. Spend time in schools volunteering to tutor and mentor the coming generation, particularly if you are gifted in math and science. Do it at the elementary, middle or high school level; wherever you feel you could make the greatest impact. It takes a village.
2. Consider education as a career option. Your influence on people's lives will go far beyond the classroom.
3. If starting a family or expanding, consider adoption as an option. All life is a precious gift from the Creator.
4. Support the foster care system in any way possible. All people need to be loved and cared for.
5. Help other people when you see a need. Open your eyes, ears and hearts to recognize those needs in others. God commanded us to love one another.
6. Work toward mending broken relationships. Admit your wrongdoing, pray for forgiveness from God and those you offended and be willing to say "I forgive you"
7. Consider getting a dog. The Gladbach's are dog people. Before buying one visit your local pound. Dogs give more love than they ever ask for. Just like Steve.
8. Invite others to join in what you love to do. Do it for them not for you. For What you have done for others that you have done unto me.
9. Get and gift a subscription to Guideposts magazine. If you ever feel uninspired to do something for someone else, pick it up and read it and you will be rejuvenated.
10. Show your family and your friends that you love them.

Steve's 3 rules of life: Be kind, take care of yourself, and work hard.

Thanks for all the love and support
Bill Gladbach

Postby BKS » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks Bill for sharing these. These were the some of the most inspirational admonitions I've ever heard.

PreviousNext