Five killed in Loveland Pass Avalanche

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Five killed in Loveland Pass Avalanche

Post by mikefromcraig »

test test test
Last edited by mikefromcraig on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
shaunster_co
14ers: 40  3  3 
13ers: 51 9
Trip Reports (5)

Post by shaunster_co »

I had to read my text messages a few times this morning to make sure I wasn't in a nightmare.. We speculated last night whom this might have been when a few of them didn't check in. I rode with Rick several times at RMNP, an AIARE instructor at CMS, also an AMGA guide. Joe was the Jones Snowboard / Karakorum rep for the area. Just had goodtimes with these guys in Silverton last week for splitfest. I also knew Ryan & Ian and had the opportunity to ride with these guys this past season. I don't want to speculate what happened out there. These were standup, experienced guys. Really sorry for everyone else that knew them and the close friends and family.
summit21
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summit21 »

It is less than 24 hours post accident. At this point CAIC has only released preliminary report on the avalanche. At this point Mike you are simply speculating without knowledge of all the facts. Certainly not a scenario that is conducive to learning, wouldn't you agree?
"The weather? The weather? Just show up at the trailhead and see what happens...you'll be surprised!"
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

The CAIC website has been getting hammered and may be in and out, so I'm re-posting the preliminary report text/photos here:
PRELIMINARY REPORT

A backcountry touring party of six, on splitboards and skis, were caught in an avalanche in the Sheep Creek area near Loveland Pass. Five of the riders were killed. The group may have triggered the avalanche from below the start zone, low in the avalanche path. The avalanche released into old snow layers and the ground. Approximate dimensions of the crown face of the avalanche are 4 feet deep and 500 feet wide.
acc_505_5095-r.jpg
acc_505_5095-r.jpg (71.46 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
acc_505_5096-r.jpg
acc_505_5096-r.jpg (234.98 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
acc_505_5097-r.jpg
acc_505_5097-r.jpg (23.44 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
acc_505_5098-r.jpg
acc_505_5098-r.jpg (20.78 KiB) Viewed 2630 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

These are not anonymous people out there in internet land. People on this site are friends and acquaintances with these boarders. Many more of us have had the experience of losing friends and acquaintances in the mountains. Some of us have had the experience of being there when people have been lost.

So compassion is part of it. We all want to know what happened before and after the incident so we can learn from it. Whether or not something different could have been done cannot be accurately assessed without knowing the details. And even when or if those details are released, compassion is still part of how it is to be discussed.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Simply horrifying. It's very sobering to know that this could happen to such knowledgeable, experienced people who were taking appropriate precautions. I mean, we all "know" it happens, but something of this magnitude really brings it home. A cautionary tale, to say the least.

Condolences to all of you who knew and worked with them. RIP.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Fisching
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 144 1
Trip Reports (13)

Post by Fisching »

MountainHiker wrote:These are not anonymous people out there in internet land. People on this site are friends and acquaintances with these boarders. Many more of us have had the experience of losing friends and acquaintances in the mountains. Some of us have had the experience of being there when people have been lost. So compassion is part of it.
Thank you - very well said. And Jenny, I'm sorry to hear that someone who had such a profound impact on you is one of the victims.
Condolences to all: family, friends, and acquaintances.
Peter Aitchison on the risks of rock climbing and mountaineering: "That's life, isn't it? We think the challenge and satisfaction you get from doing this is worth the risks."
"Respect the mountain. Train hard. Hope you can sneak up when it isn't looking."
"The mind is always worried about consequences, but the heart knows no fear. The heart just does what it wants."
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

That looks like a nasty slide. RIP to those lost.
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Wow. I would have speculated they parked at the 6 Loveland summit and hiked up and along the ridge toward Grizzly Pk and then dropped into the basin above A-basin.

I took my dad to the turn out just beyond the hairpin/switchback below the slide gulley a few weeks back on our recent annual ski trip (he's 80). I stopped up there to show him Pettingell and The Citadel. It never occurred to me that people would ply those slopes there. They seemed quite steep.

My condolences to the friends and families of the deceased.
please rotate your device
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

As outdoor enthusiasts, I believe that we should be quick to learn but slow to pass judgement on the mistakes (whether real or perceived) of those involved in a tragedy.

The updated Denver Post article states that all 6 riders were buried in the slide and two nearby boarders dug out the lone survivor, who had been buried for about an hour.
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... ash-tragic
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Truly horrifying. RIP
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

I realized today that I knew one of the victims. Expert skier, founder of the ski equipment company. Lots of experience in the BC. From what I've been reading, they were going up, and triggered the slide from below. Tragic. RIP.

http://www.geckoclimbingskins.com/team.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;