Five killed in Loveland Pass Avalanche

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Five killed in Loveland Pass Avalanche

Post by coloradokevin »

Such a sad situation in an area that so many of us frequent throughout the winter. I have to admit that when I first heard about a very deadly avalanche in the Loveland side-country the cynical side of me automatically took the wrong attitude in thinking: 'it was bound to happen eventually with all of those kids running around up there without avy equipment, and no idea what they're doing in the backcountry' (we've all seen that).

The sad reality is that we now KNOW that this was a very experienced and capable group of backcountry travelers. It's a tragic reminder that we're always walking that tightrope to some degree in the mountains. The situation hits close to home in the sense that I know some friends of mine knew these people, even if I'm pretty sure I didn't know any of them myself.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

The pics of that deposition zone are pretty sobering. Anyone who ended up in that twisted mess of ice would have been in a very bad spot. The pics of the recent slide at Vail are similarly frightening. I was out yesterday snowmobiling with my son and the state of the snowpack is a total mess. We dug a ~5' deep pit in a spot where the snow was almost 8' deep. All the new snow we've gotten over the last week is sitting on a really firm layer about 3' down and that layer is supported by nothing but feet and feet of depth hoar. It was really impressive. There is still plenty of fun to be had in the backcountry right now, but boy oh boy do you have to be cautious.
Where ever you are... There you are.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

So sad. My prayers are with the families.
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

The Denver Post is reporting that victims were participating the Rocky Mountain High Backcountry Bash to raise money for the CAIC.

In the wake of this tragedy I can't think of any better way to honor their memories than to make a donation to CAIC.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/pub/supporters_about.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Very sad indeed. My condolences to the families and friends of all who passed.

Sounds like the original article of the sole survivor flagging down a car was totally inaccurate. According to the Denver Post article, even the survivor was buried for an hour and had to be dug out by one of the rescuers.
Century Bound, eventually.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Dave B wrote:
It seems all of these questions are answered here.
Wow! Everyone look at the picture of the crown. It looks really low angle near that crown! I was wondering how 6 experienced people could all get trapped together, that picture is worth a thousand words! Look at the picture of that crown and burn it in your memory, don't take anything for granted out there!

As a father myself, the picture of Ian with his baby in that story is almost too much to bear. If anyone knows of a fund for the family please post up.
Last edited by rickinco123 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

FOBP posted a link to a fund for Ian's family to their Facebook page:

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/391630/fblk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

SilverLynx wrote:This month SUCKS. I lose a best friend on April 11, and now this. I am so sorry to all of the families of victims in this avalanche. But this occasion hurts me a little too close to home. I knew one of the victims. The names have officially been released:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/lo ... ied-sunday

Rick Gaukel was the instructor who first taught me how to rock climb and rappel. I took a class in Estes Park while I was going to CSU. We were a class of about a dozen, with two CSU instructors, and Rick was our guide. We camped on the edge of Rocky Mountain National Park. He was the first person in my life who was willing to talk me through my fear of climbing outdoors. I can remember shaking as he calmly told me I had nothing to worry about and convinced me to try rappelling for the first time. I can remember his smile, his eyes. He was so kind, and the type of person to give you the snowshoes off his feet so you didn't have to post-hole! He knew what he was doing in the backcountry, which is what makes this incident especially hard to understand. Rick was the reason I got into climbing 14ers... He led our group to Twin Sisters in May of 2011 and I was eager to try more hiking up high after that. :cry:

My deepest condolences to all friends and family. I am so very sorry. This is heartbreaking.
Rick was one of my instructors for my AIARE Level 1 class earlier this year. I'll echo your sentiments. He truly loved what he did. Prayers and condolences to the families affected.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

Chilling....
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

rickinco123 wrote:
Dave B wrote:
It seems all of these questions are answered here.
Wow! Everyone look at the picture of the crown. It looks really low angle near that crown! I was wondering how 6 experienced people could all get trapped together, that picture is worth a thousand words! Look at the picture of that crown and burn it in your memory, don't take anything for granted out there!
I think the picture is taken at an angle. Look at how the people at standing. Even still, I wonder what the angle was at the crown - it doesn't look too steep, that's for sure.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Here's the CalTopo slope angle map for the slide area. It looks like the release was right in the Red-Orange 32-45deg area on the topo map.
Attachments
slide map.jpg
slide map.jpg (239.81 KiB) Viewed 2865 times
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein