Five killed in Loveland Pass Avalanche

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Five killed in Loveland Pass Avalanche

Post by Dave B »

Full CAIC report is now available:

https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_r ... &accfm=inv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Make wilderness less accessible.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

What the hell? They were below the slide? I thought they were above on the ridge. The survivor was "touching" 2 of the deceased? Wow. This is beyond horrible.
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

Wow, that looks like a big slide! I didn't know any of the victims, but I have lost friends to back country accidents. I don't know if it's because I'm getting older but it seems like more and more it's people that are qualified and experienced in the back country that make a small mistake and pay the ultimate price. My condolences to their families and friends; and everyone please be careful out there.
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

I went up to view the north Ptarmigan slide as well as Sheep Creek today. Some of the larger and more damaging slides I have seen in either zone. Not a whole lot of the obvious red flags that we all look for in a snowpack, but it's apparent that it is a "when it goes, it goes big" situation. The base layer from our thin winter snow is not sitting well. Be safe all.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rleclair
14ers: 58 
13ers: 186
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rleclair »

The definitive report from CAIC: https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_r ... acc_id=505" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tragic accident - RIP.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity; and that mountain parks and reservations are useful not only as fountains of timber and irrigating rivers, but as fountains of life..."
John Muir
jam6880
14ers: 57  10  4 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jam6880 »

Stories of avalanches start when skiers are sliding down hill but, you don't read many stories of skiers heading up hill. Very, very scary!!!! Now knowing the whole story of how it happened I am sad for the family and friends of the deceased. Hope they get well soon. For the survivor, it will take a ton of time to understand this accident and I am very sorry.
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

CAIC surveyors at the scene made the top of a "Headlines in pictures." Starting wondering at options and found some interesting links (to me at least). "Ski or Slope Cut" to purposely set them off and using a rope. Nat Geo page on Avalanches with some video that makes it easy to visualize what the slide would have been like. Avalanche Safety Tips and Profile Interactive: Unleash an Avalanche, you set the conditions.
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

TallGrass wrote: "Ski or Slope Cut" to purposely set them off
Do not ever ski cut when your concern is a deep hard slab.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
tbonesaredelicious
14ers: 49  2  3 
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tbonesaredelicious »

Wow the survivor was buried in close proximity to two of his buddies, ie touching.. So sad.
pseudoghost
14ers: 32 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pseudoghost »

TallGrass wrote:CAIC surveyors at the scene made the top of a "Headlines in pictures." Starting wondering at options and found some interesting links (to me at least). "Ski or Slope Cut" to purposely set them off and using a rope. Nat Geo page on Avalanches with some video that makes it easy to visualize what the slide would have been like. Avalanche Safety Tips and Profile Interactive: Unleash an Avalanche, you set the conditions.
I don't think you read the report. The only way to prevent this was to not be in the area.
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Generally, If I'm in an area where I feel ski cutting is necessary, I've already exceeded my risk tolerance level. To each their own.

I never would have guessed a party of (mostly) experienced members at an avy safety event where they are trying to put safety above all else would intentionally try to traverse a terrain trap below an avalanche slope by skirting the runout area, during "considerable" avy conditions after several weeks of combined snow and wind events. There was some psychology at work here that may never be understood.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

rickinco123 wrote: I never would have guessed a party of (mostly) experienced members at an avy safety event where they are trying to put safety above all else would intentionally try to traverse a terrain trap below an avalanche slope by skirting the runout area, during "considerable" avy conditions after several weeks of combined snow and wind events. There was some psychology at work here that may never be understood.
I've also been trying to wrap my head around how so many experienced people could make this mistake.

I think the problem lies more in the fact that they weren't trying to ski the slope as much as traverse it. These deep slabs can be incredibly hard to trigger and the CAIC often refers to them as "low probability with high consequence." I think it's quite common to remotely trigger surface slabs, whether they're fresh storm slabs or recent wind loading, because they're on the surface. I would imagine the idea of remotely triggering a large deep persistent slab, from below, was considered to be a minimum probability (although the CAIC report did state they spread out intentionally while traversing the slope).

It's important to note that I am simply speculating, however. As horrible a situation as this is it also serves as an important lesson for all whom travel in the backcountry and I think the continued dialog and (somewhat) improved understanding of avalanche dynamics are the one positive to come out of such a grave situation.
Make wilderness less accessible.