One killed in Vail Pass Avalanche

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Tommy Dorr
14ers: 55 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Avalanche Fatality

Post by Tommy Dorr »

Damn, we were skiing Loveland today and saw the emergency vehicles. We had no idea til after we got back home. That really, really sucks.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

paulie wrote:I wonder where on Sniktau the slide occurred. I've always thought of it as one of the safest winter 13ers in Colorado.
The ridge that hikers take up Sniktau is typically wind blown free of snow.

Too many accidents lately. The snowpack is still a winter one up north, not spring yet!
Last edited by bergsteigen on Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Holy macro. I was skiing inbounds at Loveland on Wednesday and conditions looked spooky. There were numerous new layers with dust in-between and nothing seemed to hold it together. We were at the resort boundary by Chair 8 going for untracked runs and I just didn't get a good feeling about the snow stability and bailed from the run early. The dude who is a ski instructor there tried to convince me that it is my imagination, "they blast it", etc. Very, very sorry to hear about the accident.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

screeman57 wrote:
paulie wrote:I wonder where on Sniktau the slide occurred. I've always thought of it as one of the safest winter 13ers in Colorado.
Preliminary CAIC report said North aspect near treeline.
We drove past the area the SAR and ambulances were congregating at around 2:45, must have been before they shut down the road.

I caught a glimpse of a large crown in a draw just east of the second hairpin turn (when driving up to the pass). So if this was the actual slide it is on Sniktau technically but it was really just right off the road.

We also had 4-5 more ambulances and several SAR vehicles pass us on HWY 6 and again when on I-70.

This is a horrible accident, I'm quite curious to know the situation that led to 6 people being caught in a single slide.
Make wilderness less accessible.
CoulKurt
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by CoulKurt »

I believe that lower crown was already there near second hairpin. I dropped from ridge down to standard pickup spot around 130. Think I saw these 5 heading up toward steep area above Pass Lake or The Professor area. The timing makes me think it was them. RIP .
A little less conversation, a little more action. -Elvis
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

This is so sad to read on so many levels. Why would anyone think to be riding anything close to steep terrain with the snowpack the way it is right now?

Kurt, I'm sorry you have to experience it like that too.

I was hoping to climb a couloir this weekend, but with the amount of snow we had in the last week, I decided against it yesterday. Reading this only reinforces that. Stick to safer aspects and ridgelines, friends. The mountains will be there tomorrow.
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

Post by Nelson »

This is my worst nightmare, what I feared most. I feel like I was begging people to read the avy reports and accident reports.

May they rest in peace, may God comfort their families, may we all learn from this.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Nelson wrote:This is my worst nightmare, what I feared most. I feel like I was begging people to read the avy reports and accident reports.

May they rest in peace, may God comfort their families, may we all learn from this.
This is any parents worst nightmare. Wow...so sorry to hear this horrible news!

I can only guess...did they all descend together simultaneously? Hard to believe 5 in one slide.

As Nelson mentioned...may God comfort those close to them. Prayers going up for who knew them.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

CoulKurt wrote:I believe that lower crown was already there near second hairpin. I dropped from ridge down to standard pickup spot around 130. Think I saw these 5 heading up toward steep area above Pass Lake or The Professor area. The timing makes me think it was them. RIP .
CAIC is reporting the slide on the northeast slope of Sheep Creek (other side of the pass from the Professor). And six people were involved. Fortunately one survived.

A sad day.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
dpk
14ers: 17 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dpk »

Sending thoughts and prayers to the friends and family. . .
dpk

The only easy day was yesterday USNS
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Vail Pass Avalanche Fatality

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Here's another look at the deadly avalanche on Ptarmigan's north slope:

Image Image

Updated CAIC report
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
dpk
14ers: 17 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: One Killed in Vail Pass Avalanche

Post by dpk »

Wow that looks gnarly. Thanks for the updated picture.
dpk

The only easy day was yesterday USNS