One killed in Vail Pass Avalanche

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Nelson
14ers: 58  8  14 
Trip Reports (26)

One killed in Vail Pass Avalanche

Post by Nelson »

Sadly, another accident:

https://avalanche.state.co.us/acc/acc_r ... iew=public" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are dangerous conditions and not typical for this time of year.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Avalanche Fatality

Post by jaymz »

The deep, persistent-slab avalanche is described as 10-20' deep and close to 1,000' wide
:shock:

RIP
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Damn, this is sad.

We were there yesterday (4/17) doing sled/ski laps near Ptarmigan and I'm not surprised the north side went. It's a known slide area which had to be pretty loaded based on what we saw on other aspects in the area. Plus, the area got an additional 6-8 inches of snow last night with some strong winds.

Horrible
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

jaymz wrote:
The deep, persistent-slab avalanche is described as 10-20' deep and close to 1,000' wide

RIP
It appears they changed that to:
The deep, persistent-slab avalanche is described at 10' deep and close to 300' wide. It broke trees 3-5" in diameter. It released on a north aspect in a near-treeline area.
I suspect this is the area of the slide, but I don't know for sure:
ptarmigan1.jpg
ptarmigan1.jpg (270.49 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

WOW! That crown is huge! :shock: :shock: :shock:

So sad
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
Obese_goat
14ers: 9 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Obese_goat »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Damn it!! [-o< Such sad times, and the real sad thing is we are right on schedule with the average amount of yearly avy related deaths in CO. Even being cautious I have had my fair share of close calls in the moderate and considerate danger rating this year and in the past. Even had strange slabs inbounds in the trees this season. I saw a lot of natural avys around love pass yesterday and luckily i had the time of life I was unable to come with mine. I was so exhausted I decided to stay home today and I'm kinda glad. CAIC IS NEVER JOKING WHEN THEY PUT OUT THOSE SPECIAL WARNINGS like they did this past week!! BUT I understand how it is so hard to resist with the season melting away and conditions appearing to be so prime. No matter what this s**t always is so sad and so eerie to me. Always humbles me and makes me thankful. Thoughts and prayers to the victims, their families, and their friends. :(
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Agh, that sounds like an enormous slide. Very sad--RIP.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:
jaymz wrote:

RIP
It appears they changed that to:
The deep, persistent-slab avalanche is described at 10' deep and close to 300' wide. It broke trees 3-5" in diameter. It released on a north aspect in a near-treeline area.
I figured it must have been a misprint, but that's still one monster of a slide! So sad someone got caught up in it.
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
USAKeller
14ers: 58  24  24 
13ers: 169 3 7
Trip Reports (46)

Post by USAKeller »

Wow - this hits hard after having been right up there. That slide was huge. Very sad.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Sad, and that's huge. This is one of the scarier late-season snowpacks I can recall. Second half of april and we're still dealing with hudge deep slabs going off.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Steve Climber
14ers: 27  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Steve Climber »

Sad news to hear. Got word on FB feed from CAIC this morning laying bed. Said deep persistent slab, so was expecting a big crown, but that is huge. Looks insanely wind-loaded from the detail shot of the crown with a giant cornice still hanging over the center. Scary snowpack this year.

RIP to the rider.
Dave B wrote:And/or line thy helmet with tin foil and realize this is a freaking mountaineering website.
Steve Climber wrote:So that's your backpack, huh?
ajkagy
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ajkagy »

wow this sucks, one of my good friends already lost someone really close to them this year...It's still a winter pack, stay safe out there.
http://wanderingthemountains.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;