Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

What Not to Do

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.

What Not to Do

Postby Bullwinkle » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:52 pm

A classic case of what not to do in the mountains. This guy was fortunate to come out with his life.

http://www.wetmountaintribune.com/home.asp?i=716&p=4
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed

Re: What Not to Do

Postby schrund » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:20 pm

The "cave above the lakes" ? I guess I am unsure where this cave is. That would have been cold even if prepared, sounds like he got pretty lucky somehow.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby climbinfool » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:32 pm

The hard way

Postby Hungry Jack » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Truly wtf

Postby midwestcoast » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:27 pm

Wonderful Pistachio commercial in the making.

Postby jdorje » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:59 pm

I heard about this. Lucky indeed, though I don't understand really. Where is this cave? And why not just walk out?
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby Doug Shaw » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:24 pm

jdorje wrote:And why not just walk out?

Minimal food and inappropriate gear, got hypothermic, snow was waist-deep?

Postby MountainMedic » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:37 pm

I wonder how much alcohol was involved in his poorly-conceived 1am departure. Since alcohol exacerbates hypothermia, he's likely even luckier than he's getting credit for...

Postby tlongpine » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 am

MountainMedic wrote:I wonder how much alcohol was involved in his poorly-conceived 1am departure. Since alcohol exacerbates hypothermia, he's likely even luckier than he's getting credit for...

1AM is not an unusual departure time. No reason to presume alcohol was involved.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.

Postby Breckskier » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:19 am

tlongpine wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:I wonder how much alcohol was involved in his poorly-conceived 1am departure. Since alcohol exacerbates hypothermia, he's likely even luckier than he's getting credit for...

1AM is not an unusual departure time. No reason to presume alcohol was involved.

Most people that start at 1am don't start in Khaki pants and with a handful of pistachio nuts....
"If you don't do it this year you'll only be 1 year older when you do." -Warren Miller

Postby mtngoat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:24 am

Breckskier wrote:
tlongpine wrote:

Most people that start at 1am don't start in Khaki pants and with a handful of pistachio nuts....
... That were given to him by his "friend"...
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.

Postby rijaca » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 am

tlongpine wrote:

After consulting with friends with considerable experience in matters like this, it's agreed that alcohol was probably involved. The unusual 1am departure being a major clue.
"Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill"

Next