What Not to Do

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Bullwinkle
14ers: 43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (7)

What Not to Do

Post by Bullwinkle »

A classic case of what not to do in the mountains. This guy was fortunate to come out with his life.

http://www.wetmountaintribune.com/home.asp?i=716&p=4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As a mountain more fully reveals itself to a man, so the true nature of the man will be more fully revealed
schrund
14ers: 58 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: What Not to Do

Post by schrund »

The "cave above the lakes" ? I guess I am unsure where this cave is. That would have been cold even if prepared, sounds like he got pretty lucky somehow.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief
climbinfool
14ers: 46  1 
13ers: 49 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbinfool »

The hard way
Hungry Jack
14ers: 12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Hungry Jack »

Truly wtf
midwestcoast
Trip Reports (0)

Post by midwestcoast »

Wonderful Pistachio commercial in the making.
jdorje
14ers: 12 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (16)

Post by jdorje »

I heard about this. Lucky indeed, though I don't understand really. Where is this cave? And why not just walk out?
"I don't think about the past, and the future is a mystery. Only the present matters."
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

jdorje wrote:And why not just walk out?
Minimal food and inappropriate gear, got hypothermic, snow was waist-deep?
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

I wonder how much alcohol was involved in his poorly-conceived 1am departure. Since alcohol exacerbates hypothermia, he's likely even luckier than he's getting credit for...
tlongpine
14ers: 27  1  2 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by tlongpine »

MountainMedic wrote:I wonder how much alcohol was involved in his poorly-conceived 1am departure. Since alcohol exacerbates hypothermia, he's likely even luckier than he's getting credit for...
1AM is not an unusual departure time. No reason to presume alcohol was involved.
I am unable to walk away from the mountain without climbing it. An unclimbed mountain tugs at my consciousness with the eternal weight of time itself. Until I've pressed my face into it's alpine winds, hugged it's ancient granite walls, and put it's weathered summit beneath my heal I'm unable to resist it's attraction.Knowing nature gives the mountain more time than she gives us adds urgency to the obsession. As has been said before; the mountain doesn't care.

It can wait forever. I cannot.
Breckskier
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 16 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Breckskier »

tlongpine wrote:
MountainMedic wrote:I wonder how much alcohol was involved in his poorly-conceived 1am departure. Since alcohol exacerbates hypothermia, he's likely even luckier than he's getting credit for...
1AM is not an unusual departure time. No reason to presume alcohol was involved.
Most people that start at 1am don't start in Khaki pants and with a handful of pistachio nuts....
"If you don't do it this year you'll only be 1 year older when you do." -Warren Miller
mtngoat
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by mtngoat »

Breckskier wrote:
tlongpine wrote:
Most people that start at 1am don't start in Khaki pants and with a handful of pistachio nuts....
... That were given to him by his "friend"...
-Dave

If your life's work can be completed within your lifetime - you are not thinking big enough.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

tlongpine wrote:
After consulting with friends with considerable experience in matters like this, it's agreed that alcohol was probably involved. The unusual 1am departure being a major clue.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"