Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

RIP Bill Forrest

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.

RIP Bill Forrest

Postby Jay521 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:27 pm

I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Re: RIP Bill Forrest

Postby 14erFred » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:53 pm

May he rest in peace forever in the hills of eternity.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius

Postby Dancesatmoonrise » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:05 pm

He was indeed a climbing legend.

Among his many other fine accomplishments, he did the second ascent of the Snow-Cap traverse, in 1966.

Thank you, Bill Forest, for all your contributions! May you rest in eternal peace.

Postby crestone14ers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:26 pm

I used to buy gear from him at his old shop on Platte Street. We spoke on quite a few occasions, mostly about mixed routes and the ice axe and crampons I got from him. If I remember ok... they were the Hummingbird and Fang.

Bill was a good man! =D>

Postby CAF » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:35 pm

A true mountaineering legend - my first harness was a Forest, and a few Titons use to compliment my rack.
RIP Bill, thanks for all you gave.

Postby colokeith » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:54 pm

RIP good sir!!

Postby coloradokevin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:10 am

Damn sad to hear that. I met him once while snowshoeing in the Mt. Evans area, maybe 6 years or so ago. I was wearing MSR snowshoes at the time, and he asked me a bunch of questions about what I thought of them, how they worked for me, what I'd change about them, etc. It was only after asking me these questions that he identified himself as the inventor of these snowshoes. Pretty humble and interesting fellow, from what I recall. Only talked to him for about 10 minutes, and didn't even immediately recognize him by name, just via his legacy.

Postby Hacksaw » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:53 pm

I worked at Forrest Mountaineering in the 80's.Bill was way ahead of his time with a lot of his equipment designs (2-piece sit harness, big wall haul bags, single point big wall hammock, interchangeable picks for ice hammer & ice axe, ice paw gloves, bivy sacks and one man tesnt, pile clothing and the ice tools, etc...) and his 1st ascents on the Diamond of Logs Peak, in the South Platte and on the desert towers of the Southwest. The MSR snowshoes came later. Sadly, Bill didn't go in with RayJardine on developing the "Friends" spring loaded caming units. It was always "interesting" working at Forrest... Maybe the FFE will have a wake at My Brother's Bar...

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22269229/climbing-legend-bill-forrest-dies-snowshoeing-near-monarch
"True love is much easier to find with a helicopter."

Postby zdero1 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:00 am

RIP Bill. Thank you for all you've given us.