Help: Jeff Lodico aka slimshady

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Help: Jeff Lodico aka slimshady

Post by 14erFred »

Jeff Valliere wrote:What a fortunate turn of events for him and how fortuitous for that help to be from a doctor no less.
His rescuer, Jon Kedrowski, has a Ph.D. in Environmental Geography and is not a physician.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

14erFred wrote:
Jeff Valliere wrote:What a fortunate turn of events for him and how fortuitous for that help to be from a doctor no less.
His rescuer, Jon Kedrowski, has a Ph.D. in Environmental Geography and is not a physician.

WHAT! So HIPPA doesn't apply to him! :cussing:

It will be interesting to hear Slim comment on this thread when he's up and kicking butt! Hurry up Jeff!
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I've spent a lot of time thinking about Dr. Jon's post/blog...

I do think it was in poor taste, especially the "and look for my book..." at the end of the blog and another reference in his forum post here. Of course, we're all grateful for the assistance he provided to Jeff.

I'm pretty sure what I'd do if I was sitting on the rocks, head down, bloody and someone came up and took my picture - I'd probably do every thing I could to get that camera and chuck it down the mountain. If I didn't know about the pictures until later on, I'd be pissed, especially since they got to the Internet before I recovered.

All that being said, maybe Dr. Jon asked Jeff for permission before posting his blog and forum post. If so, issue solved as it relates to Jeff, but the fact that Dr. Jon's trying to sell stuff as a part of it makes me sick to my stomach.

Jeff, I wish you the very best! Get well
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: All that being said, maybe Dr. Jon asked Jeff for permission before posting his blog and forum post. If so, issue solved as it relates to Jeff, but the fact that Dr. Jon's trying to sell stuff as a part of it makes me sick to my stomach.
I'm a short 16 months months from finishing a Ph.D.. In my short tenure in academics I've quickly realized that there is a personality type that earns a Ph.D. (a research degree) and then refers to themselves as Dr. in normal conversations and on internet forums.

This personality is 100% in line with the type of person who would take pictures before aiding a victim and plugging their book at the end.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

BillMiddlebrook wrote:I've spent a lot of time thinking about Dr. Jon's post/blog...

I do think it was in poor taste, especially the "and look for my book..." at the end of the blog and another reference in his forum post here. Of course, we're all grateful for the assistance he provided to Jeff.

I'm pretty sure what I'd do if I was sitting on the rocks, head down, bloody and someone came up and took my picture - I'd probably do every thing I could to get that camera and chuck it down the mountain. If I didn't know about the pictures until later on, I'd be pissed, especially since they got to the Internet before I recovered.

All that being said, maybe Dr. Jon asked Jeff for permission before posting his blog and forum post. If so, issue solved as it relates to Jeff, but the fact that Dr. Jon's trying to sell stuff as a part of it makes me sick to my stomach.

Bill, I think you summed up well, what a lot of us were thinking. Thanks.

I'll add that I know at least a couple of the docs on this forum. These guys are MD's (ER docs, in fact.) And no one knows it, except their personal friends. You don't see them coming on posting, "Hi, I'm Dr. So-and-so." For me, that was the first red flag. I never said anything, for two reasons - first, because I'm pretty tolerant. To each his own. But mostly, I felt it was in somewhat similarly poor taste to focus on this side issue, at that time, given the seriousness of Jeff's condition.

"Saving lives" is not about bravado, it's about humility. It's about witnessing a tug of war between your patient and the devil, and you are the conduit through which His blessings might occur. You know what to do, you're doing everything you can, but it is not in your hands. Such a position is all about gratitude, not attitude. That's what separates the real doctors from the heros.

Thanks, Bill, for saying what I imagine a lot of us felt after reading that post.

To "Doctor Jon": Thanks for helping Jeff. Perhaps you did not mean for your post and your blog to come off as it did. If so, perhaps the unintended consequences will ultimately have a positive impact.
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
"Saving lives" is not about bravado, it's about humility. It's about witnessing a tug of war between your patient and the devil, and you are the conduit through which His blessings might occur. You know what to do, you're doing everything you can, but it is not in your hands. Such a position is all about gratitude, not attitude. That's what separates the real doctors from the heros.
+100
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
caverdude
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 16 2
Trip Reports (2)

Post by caverdude »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote: BillMiddlebrook wrote:I've spent a lot of time thinking about Dr. Jon's post/blog...

Bill, I think you summed up well, what a lot of us were thinking. Thanks.

I'll add that I know at least a couple of the docs on this forum. These guys are MD's (ER docs, in fact.) And no one knows it, except their personal friends. You don't see them coming on posting, "Hi, I'm Dr. So-and-so." For me, that was the first red flag. I never said anything, for two reasons - first, because I'm pretty tolerant. To each his own. But mostly, I felt it was in somewhat similarly poor taste to focus on this side issue, at that time, given the seriousness of Jeff's condition.

Thanks, Bill, for saying what I imagine a lot of us felt after reading that post.

To "Doctor Jon": Thanks for helping Jeff. Perhaps you did not mean for your post and your blog to come off as it did. If so, perhaps the unintended consequences will ultimately have a positive impact.

Well said by both. I have been wondering when someone would speak up about this. If I was injured, I would hope that others would help me out as Jon did, but do it for the right reasons.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

Everyone has an inalienable right to a self aggrandizing website, but not to an expectation that it won't be critiqued and/or ridiculed. That said, Dr. Jon, if you can get to me first, go ahead.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

Tortoise1 wrote:Everyone has an inalienable right to a self aggrandizing website, but not to an expectation that it won't be critiqued and/or ridiculed. That said, Dr. Jon, if you can get to me first, go ahead.
Whenever you put something up on the internets you are subjecting it to the criticism of others, whether it be from a post on this forum or a website. As I said before you may be ok with someone photographing your rescue and using your unfortunate circumstance for profit, but many others would not be.

@DaveB you're spot on about the whole "Dr." thing. I work with Doctors of physical and occupational therapy and no one has ever used the word doctor in reference to themself. Whether you are a clinician with a Master's or Doctorate or an assistant with an associate's degree we always treat each other as equals within our respective roles.

- Master Mike (Sorry, I couldn't help it.)
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Bill, Jim.
Very well said gentlemen. Pretty much my thoughts exactly.
Greenhouseguy
14ers: 41  10 
13ers: 185 5
Trip Reports (71)

Post by Greenhouseguy »

Dave B wrote:I'm a short 16 months months from finishing a Ph.D.. In my short tenure in academics I've quickly realized that there is a personality type that earns a Ph.D. (a research degree) and then refers to themselves as Dr. in normal conversations and on internet forums.

This personality is 100% in line with the type of person who would take pictures before aiding a victim and plugging their book at the end.
I'm not looking for any new enemies, so I'll neither praise nor vilify Dr. Jon. However, convention dictates that the only doctor who is entitled to use his academic title in social situations is a medical doctor. To do otherwise is considered pretentious.
"May your boulder be your blessing." - Aron Ralston
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

zdero1 wrote:
Tortoise1 wrote:
zdero1 wrote:If I found a climber in distress the last thing that would be on my mind is photographing the scene, especially for something ego-driven.
You're falsely assuming that Dr. Jon stopped and took the pictures himself. In fact they were taken by his personal photographer who has been engaged to record his life on film. This aids greatly in building the Dr. Jon website.
I'm glad that photographer has his priorities straight. My personal photographer would have assisted in aiding the injured climber along with me.
I once was involved with assisting and injured "climber" #-o, and in assisting the good people of Aspen Mountain Rescue in moving the victim down to a landing zone for a helicopter. There were also several other climbers on scene who assisted. I did snap a few photos of the final stages of the rescue (mostly the helicopter coming and going). The injured person wasn't visible in any of the shots, and I only took them after it was clear that my involvement in the rescue was over. I can say that I never even thought of the camera in my backpack once I arrived on the accident scene, up until the end of my role. But to each photographer his own, I guess.

I'm very glad that Jeff is on the mend.

And I did buy a copy of Dr. Jon's book (a few weeks back).
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James