Help: Jeff Lodico aka slimshady

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Help: Jeff Lodico aka slimshady

Post by MtHurd »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
flintster wrote:He is off breathing tubes and switched to a breathing mask. Conscious, talking, and was sharing with the nurses what happened as he could best remember. Definitely some injuries, but they are thinking of moving him out of ICU depending on how he does overnight.

Yes!!!! =D> =D> =D>
Stay with it, Jeff. You got it, man!
+1000000000000
Knockneed Man
14ers: 33 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Knockneed Man »

Pretty lame to blog photos of an injured climber while he's still in critical care, regardless of whether you helped him or not. Then to sign it with your book plug (and a silly book subject at that)??? Besides that, your blaaag was written with a ton of typos that indicate a hurried attempt at being the "first" to break then news thats so indicative of this day and age (I hope your "book" is more well written). I wont even get into the fact that you took photos of an injured climber from below, before you even reached him. Seems like Mountain Paparazzi to me. The concept of style is lost upon most, and ironically as climbing 14ers and bolt ladders gets more popular true climbers get fewer and fewer.
Last edited by Knockneed Man on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

zdero1 wrote:I find this violation of Jeff's privacy to be quite disturbing. If I was the one injured on a mountain I wouldn't want gruesome details about my injuries or photos put on the internet, especially if I was unable to have any say in the matter. The forum post and the blog write-up seem to be motivated by self-interest, when more respect should be given to Jeff and his family. I'll leave it at that. As far as attending to a climber in serious distress, Jon, you have my deepest appreciation and gratitude. I'm so thankful to be apart of a community that takes care of their own.

Jeff and family/friends, all the best to you on this long road to recovery during this difficult time. As Kush and Ameristrat stated, anything I can do to help let me know.
HIPAA and medical privacy laws are universal; I think we should all assume that Jeff (or a family member)signed some sort of release authorizing Dr. Jon to discuss his story. If not, it's really not our business. As for the "self-interest", we all do that when we post a trip report. We have accomplished something that we are proud of, and want to share it with others. This man helped to save a human life. What he did is infinitely more impressive than any of us (from newbies to finishers) have done on any mountain. Given the magnitude of the accomplishment, there is nothing wrong with wanting to share that eperience with others.
ElFuegoDelaMuerte
14ers: 35  4  13 
13ers: 38 1 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ElFuegoDelaMuerte »

First off: my thoughts and prayers are with Slim.

Second:

This isn't the time or place for any discussion about ethics. No sense in perseverating on something that has already happened and is out of our control. Blog is posted, and I think it is important to note that Dr Jon is not an MD, he has a PhD in Environmental Geography so he is not bound in any way by HIPAA privacy rules so there were no written regulations broken.

Lets just keep the thread on the topic of good mojo...
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Barry Raven wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:
flintster wrote:He is off breathing tubes and switched to a breathing mask. Conscious, talking, and was sharing with the nurses what happened as he could best remember. Definitely some injuries, but they are thinking of moving him out of ICU depending on how he does overnight.

Yes!!!! =D> =D> =D>
+1000000000000
And plus another 1000000000000 to that. You gotta get better soon so I can pull your Jeep out of the snow on the Four Mile road again!
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
jlodico
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jlodico »

Dr Jon,

As Jeff's brother I appreciate your help and your story. This has been literally my only source of information about what happened to him. I am sure I speak for the rest of family as well.

Joe Lodico
krs1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (3)

Post by krs1 »

Years ago I lay broken, mangled and shattered on the side of a mountain as well thinking my life is over, I rode in that same orange bird, Flight for Life, so grateful for the response of my climbing partner, SAR, and others.

Jeff, you have survived the hardest part which are the initial hours after the accident and you are tough as nails…Stay strong and fight like hell man!!! Never give in to the pain you will be back and I speak from experience. Get well soon!!!
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Joe,

We fight like a backwoods, inbred family but I like to think we support members of our family who find themselves in your brothers situation like the best of families. Still praying for the best.
kushrocks
14ers: 58  25 
13ers: 65 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by kushrocks »

Barry Raven wrote:
Dancesatmoonrise wrote:

Yes!!!! =D> =D> =D>
+1000000000000
Hell yea another + 1000000000000 here!!! Get well Jeff. We are all pulling for you.
“The best climber in the world is the one who is having all the fun.” – Alex Lowe
" Don’t be afraid to move out of your comfort zone. Some of your best life experiences and opportunities will transpire only after you dare to loose."
jlodico
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jlodico »

We appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers. I will try and keep you updated as I get more information. A lot of his family is in Houston and our sister is a nurse and has been keeping in contact with the doctors who are caring for him.
scottfarish
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by scottfarish »

Huge props once again to everyone out there who helped Slim get off that mountain, and into medical care... Paul, Michael, Sean, Dr. Jon, Pitkin County SAR - you guys deserve a standing ovation.

Aside from Jeff's medical situation, there appears to be a logistical problem right now... his truck is still at the trailhead. This is a very lofty request, and I would gladly take it on if I could. Unfortunately, the earliest I could get over to Lead King Basin will be Friday October 12th. I fear that severe weather before that date could make the 4wd road a non-option. Is there anyone out there who could drive into LKB to get Slim's truck and drive it back to Denver? I'll be frank... this won't be easy. It will take two people to drive over there, since one person will have to drive Slim's truck back out. For those who know that road, it isn't pretty. In perfectly dry conditions at moderate speed, it takes an hour from the town of Marble. There are some very tight spots and steep switchbacks, and you really need to have some decent 4wd experience to negotiate that road. There is no glory in this task either... no gas reimbursement, no name in the paper... just the satisfaction of knowing that you helped a fallen climber to get his vehicle back.

If anyone is interested, and is really serious about doing this, please send me a PM and I can give you the details.

Meanwhile, please continue to keep Slim in your thoughts and prayers as he goes through different surgeries and begins to heal.
pkripper
14ers: 27 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pkripper »

Scott.
I have a friend that lives on some acreage outside of Redstone. He has driven that road for 30 yrs. I don't think he could get it to Denver, but could get it down and park it on his property until someone could pick it up. Let me know if you want his help.