Help: Jeff Lodico aka slimshady

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
jlodico
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Help: Jeff Lodico aka slimshady

Post by jlodico »

Paul was able to visit Jeff last night and speak with him briefly. He is looking good all things considered. He was in positive spirits and was already talking about getting back on the mountains.... Go figure...... I am sure that attitude will speed up his recovery .....

They expect him to be in ICU thru the weekend, hopefully out by early next week.

I think his truck is almost home, thanks to all for getting that done.

We seem to have lost his camera, does anyone have that ?

Jon had mentioned checking it for pics in his blog.

Thanks again to all for your thoughts and prayers.
michaelgrundy
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 49 2
Trip Reports (21)

Post by michaelgrundy »

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

zdero1 wrote:
Dr_Jon wrote:Hello Everyone,

This Is Dr. Jon Kedrowski, I got to Slim Shady yesterday morning a couple of hours before SAR arrived on the scene. I have posted new details and photos to my blog on my website at
http://www.jonkeverest.org/blog/2012/10 ... -2012.aspx

Please pray for Jeff, he is going to make a full recovery, I am sure of it. Thankyou to all the people who helped out including Katie, Tony and the rest of the West Elk Mountains SAR teams.

All the Best,

Jon Kedrowski, Ph.D.
Mountain Geographer, Author, Sleeping on the Summits: Colorado 14er High Bivys
http://www.jonkeverest.org/ORDER-SLEEPI ... MMITS.html

I find this violation of Jeff's privacy to be quite disturbing. If I was the one injured on a mountain I wouldn't want gruesome details about my injuries or photos put on the internet, especially if I was unable to have any say in the matter. The forum post and the blog write-up seem to be motivated by self-interest, when more respect should be given to Jeff and his family.
I cant help but agree here, as well as with Knocknee...

Dr Jon, I find that photo you posted on your blog disturbing. Very disturbing. Did you seriously walk up to this injured guy and walk around and above him taking photos BEFORE attending to him?

This entire blog was completely out of line...
matt pierce
14ers: 39 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (1)

Post by matt pierce »

Jeff, I dont know you but wanted to say I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back outside doing something fun very soon!
WSN
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Post by WSN »

matt pierce wrote: I cant help but agree here, as well as with Knocknee...

Dr Jon, I find that photo you posted on your blog disturbing. Very disturbing. Did you seriously walk up to this injured guy and walk around and above him taking photos BEFORE attending to him?

I think taking photos itself has nothing to blame. It only takes seconds to shot a photo, so if I were Dr Jon, I would also spend a minute to record the original scene rather than get to the victim a minute earlier.
That being said, I think posting these photos is another story (for you guys to discuss...)
BHallDDS
14ers: 18 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BHallDDS »

matt pierce wrote:
zdero1 wrote:
Dr_Jon wrote:Hello Everyone,

This Is Dr. Jon Kedrowski, I got to Slim Shady yesterday morning a couple of hours before SAR arrived on the scene. I have posted new details and photos to my blog on my website at
http://www.jonkeverest.org/blog/2012/10 ... -2012.aspx

Please pray for Jeff, he is going to make a full recovery, I am sure of it. Thankyou to all the people who helped out including Katie, Tony and the rest of the West Elk Mountains SAR teams.

All the Best,

Jon Kedrowski, Ph.D.
Mountain Geographer, Author, Sleeping on the Summits: Colorado 14er High Bivys
http://www.jonkeverest.org/ORDER-SLEEPI ... MMITS.html

I find this violation of Jeff's privacy to be quite disturbing. If I was the one injured on a mountain I wouldn't want gruesome details about my injuries or photos put on the internet, especially if I was unable to have any say in the matter. The forum post and the blog write-up seem to be motivated by self-interest, when more respect should be given to Jeff and his family.
I cant help but agree here, as well as with Knocknee...

Dr. Jon. You are the man. Job well done. If I were ever in an accident, I hope someone like you is close by. Jeff, I hope you recover fully and quickly! You'll be back in the mountains soon. I'm 100% okay with the photos and blog posting. The pictures were IMO not offensive at all. People on here need to chill and not get so butthurt all the time with stuff...it's always how these climbing accidents threads end up. We are in the digital age with instant media...get over it.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

Regarding the people who are criticizing Dr. Jon for sharing too much information about Jeff, or posting pictures, I think we all should assume that the privacy issue has been discussed between Dr. Jon, Jeff, and his family. Especially, since there have been a few posts by Jeff's brother expressing appreciation for Dr. Jon, and updating the 14ers community about Jeff's progress. If Dr. Jon ever helps remove you from the side of the mountain, you can communicate to him then, that you do not want him sharing your private medical information on the internet, under any circumstances. As for this situation, it's between Dr. Jon, Jeff, and his family. Period. Stop being such a busy-body.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

JROSKA wrote:Regarding the people who are criticizing Dr. Jon for sharing too much information about Jeff, or posting pictures, I think we all should assume that the privacy issue has been discussed between Dr. Jon, Jeff, and his family. Especially, since there have been a few posts by Jeff's brother expressing appreciation for Dr. Jon, and updating the 14ers community about Jeff's progress. If Dr. Jon ever helps remove you from the side of the mountain, you can communicate to him then, that you do not want him sharing your private medical information on the internet, under any circumstances. As for this situation, it's between Dr. Jon, Jeff, and his family. Period. Stop being such a busy-body.
Yes I'm sure privacy issues were being discussed during the rescue (sarcasm). You're assuming he had the cognitive functioning to even be oriented to context or even communicate at all. Keep in mind he was in critical condition even after leaving the mountain. If I found a climber in distress the last thing that would be on my mind is photographing the scene, especially for something ego-driven. Every second is precious in these circumstances. Jon was in the right place at the right time and subsequently handled the aftermath in a disturbingly wrong way. If I remember correctly there was no mention of communication with family. That's cool that the brother appreciates it, but Jeff never had a say. Doesn't take more than 1 minute of reading Jon's forum post and blog post to see what his real intentions are. Look at the title, "Helping out a total stranger.." As if this is more of a sacrifice than helping out someone in your own party in a similar circumstance. ROSKA take your own advice and butt-out.

I've been getting a lot of support and flack for my comments on this issue and that's fine. If Jeff and family are cool with this whole thing that's awesome. That's the outcome I would want. Not every victim on the mountain would want their situation handled this way though, and I think it's important to bring awareness to this. No one needs the paparazzi to be present during their rescue, especially if the victim subsequently does not survive after the blog has been posted.

Jeff and family, all the best to you during your healing process. I'm so thankful that you are getting better, Jeff.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

zdero1 wrote:If I found a climber in distress the last thing that would be on my mind is photographing the scene, especially for something ego-driven.
You're falsely assuming that Dr. Jon stopped and took the pictures himself. In fact they were taken by his personal photographer who has been engaged to record his life on film. This aids greatly in building the Dr. Jon website.

PS - good luck to Jeff.
zdero1
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 85 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zdero1 »

Tortoise1 wrote:
zdero1 wrote:If I found a climber in distress the last thing that would be on my mind is photographing the scene, especially for something ego-driven.
You're falsely assuming that Dr. Jon stopped and took the pictures himself. In fact they were taken by his personal photographer who has been engaged to record his life on film. This aids greatly in building the Dr. Jon website.
I'm glad that photographer has his priorities straight. My personal photographer would have assisted in aiding the injured climber along with me.
thatnissanguy
14ers: 51  6  8 
13ers: 65
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thatnissanguy »

zdero1 wrote:
JROSKA wrote:Regarding the people who are criticizing Dr. Jon for sharing too much information about Jeff, or posting pictures, I think we all should assume that the privacy issue has been discussed between Dr. Jon, Jeff, and his family. Especially, since there have been a few posts by Jeff's brother expressing appreciation for Dr. Jon, and updating the 14ers community about Jeff's progress. If Dr. Jon ever helps remove you from the side of the mountain, you can communicate to him then, that you do not want him sharing your private medical information on the internet, under any circumstances. As for this situation, it's between Dr. Jon, Jeff, and his family. Period. Stop being such a busy-body.
Yes I'm sure privacy issues were being discussed during the rescue (sarcasm). You're assuming he had the cognitive functioning to even be oriented to context or even communicate at all. Keep in mind he was in critical condition even after leaving the mountain. If I found a climber in distress the last thing that would be on my mind is photographing the scene, especially for something ego-driven. Every second is precious in these circumstances. Jon was in the right place at the right time and subsequently handled the aftermath in a disturbingly wrong way. If I remember correctly there was no mention of communication with family. That's cool that the brother appreciates it, but Jeff never had a say. Doesn't take more than 1 minute of reading Jon's forum post and blog post to see what his real intentions are. Look at the title, "Helping out a total stranger.." As if this is more of a sacrifice than helping out someone in your own party in a similar circumstance. ROSKA take your own advice and butt-out.

I've been getting a lot of support and flack for my comments on this issue and that's fine. If Jeff and family are cool with this whole thing that's awesome. That's the outcome I would want. Not every victim on the mountain would want their situation handled this way though, and I think it's important to bring awareness to this. No one needs the paparazzi to be present during their rescue, especially if the victim subsequently does not survive after the blog has been posted.

Jeff and family, all the best to you during your healing process. I'm so thankful that you are getting better, Jeff.
I would absolutely agree with Zdero1 on this. It was obvious to me after reading the blog what his motivation was, because it's written in plain english right at the end of it. I am an amateur photographer. There are not many things that I would be shy to photograph. The fact that he would stop with the foresight to photograph Jeff under those circumstances is indicative of his true intentions.

It should be brought up and discussed, because it would be a SHAME to see this kind of thing become a trend in the future. YES, PLEASE go out and try to help save someone's life. NO, DO NOT do it with the intention of promoting your own personal gains. I will fall short of slinging insults at Dr. Jon or other forum members that clearly do not understand the depth of this discussion, but I would expect more from a pillar of the community such as he and I would expect members of the community to hold him more accountable for his actions.

That said, Dr. Jon, thank you for helping Jeff in his time of need.

I once met Jeff and we did not get along too well. Regardless, I am wishing for him a speedy recovery and many of the fine cigars which he is so well known for.

- Jason Maki
“Walk away quietly in any direction and taste the freedom of the mountaineer.” - John Muir
Jeff Valliere
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Jeff Valliere »

Since I really do not know anything more than what little I have read here (and what is linked from here), I will withhold judgment on the picture posting issue, as that is between Jon and Jeff.

Back to the topic though, glad to hear that Jeff is OK and glad to hear that he had some help ahead of SAR, it may well have saved his life. What a fortunate turn of events for him and how fortuitous for that help to be from a doctor no less.

Best of luck in your recovery Jeff.