Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Mel McKinney
14ers: 29 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Post by Mel McKinney »

Taylor, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for reaching out to this community and for giving it the opportunity to reach out to you. I hope you find some comfort in the kind words many have posted in this thread.
Peace be with you and your family.
Mountains cast spells on me - Why, because of the way Earth-heaps lie, should I be Chocked by joy mysteriously; stilled or drunken-gay? Why should a brown hill trail Tug at my feet to go? Why should a boggy swale Tune my heart to a nameless tale Mountain marshes know?
--- Belle Turnbull ("Mountain-Mad")
Dave_W
14ers: 39  4 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dave_W »

Chris was signed up to climb with me on a charity climbing project that I started called 14ers4Kids starting this weekend. I had been e-mailing with him in prep to climb Sneffels, Uncompahgre and Crestone Needle together to benefit orphaned children. I was so excited about meeting and climbing with him, I can't believe it.

From all I have read here Chris was an amazing person, it shows in his life including his desire to help children he has never even met.

The link below is the fundraising page that Chris had set up to help raise money for Half the Sky Foundation to support orphaned children. It's not my intention to solicit donations on this thread, but if you feel you need to do something...this might be away to do something in his memory to celebrate his love for the mountains and his desire to help others.

http://give.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/do ... =364478924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taylor - so sorry for your loss.
axbauer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by axbauer »

I appreciate that.

The other option my family would like to make available to you is a donattion to the Custer County Search & Rescue

Donation to CCSAR:
Custer County Search and Rescue
PO BOX 1092
Westcliffe, CO 81252

Or on their website.

Thank you again for everything.
My-Therapy
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 31 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by My-Therapy »

Taylor, I'm very sorry for your tremendous loss. My thoughts are with you and your family.

-Jeremy
CRAIGO
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (6)

Post by CRAIGO »

Taylor,

So sorry for your loss. Prayers to you and your family.
JoniBologna
14ers: 27 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JoniBologna »

Taylor, I am so sorry for your loss. May Chris rest in peace.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." - John Muir
anasarca76
14ers: 57 
13ers: 33
Trip Reports (5)

Post by anasarca76 »

I'm so sorry for your loss... Hearing this type of news is never good. Rest In Peace Chris
axbauer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by axbauer »

The person who was climbing with Chris has contacted me and we are touching base this evening.

They are shaken, but unharmed. I am so grateful to you and cannot wait to meet you. You are my angel.
HarknessHooligans
14ers: 50 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (15)

Post by HarknessHooligans »

Taylor, this is heartbreaking to read about the loss of your husband. RIP Chris. You and your family are my thoughts and prayers
HH
edhaman
14ers: 15 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by edhaman »

Taylor,

So sorry to hear of your loss. I sent you a private message earlier today.

The summit of Evans is a good suggestion. The other place where everyone could get to easily on a paved road is the Guanella Pass trailhead for Mt. Bierstadt. And depending on how close to the "base" of a 14er is desired, Echo Lake might be another nice place as a trailhead for Mt. Evans.

Ed
smrcka
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 116
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smrcka »

Very sad... My condolences to the family.

RIP Chris.
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

Hi Taylor,

My sympathies and prayers for you, and your and Chris's family and friends.