Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
highcountryhiker
14ers: 27 
13ers: 82
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Climber Deceased On Crestone Peak

Post by highcountryhiker »

Taylor, so sorry to hear about your loss. Heartfelt condolences go out to you, your family and friends.
BearCrawl
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BearCrawl »

Taylor,
There is a family that will be with you in ways I can only hope you might feel. I never met Chris, but promise you that in every climb I commit to with my son, Chris and others who were claimed too soon will be with us. I can feel the spirit of such things ever more with each experience I share with my boy. As he grows older, I will be sure that Chris and the others like so will not be forgotten.

We lost a good man and a former student to a hit and run this week. As a teacher, such things happen due to the number of people that we come across on any given day. It never gets easier to handle, but I've learned that there is comfort in people. If ever you need anything Taylor, I'm sure there will be family for you here to rejoice with. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
scottfarish
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by scottfarish »

We never had the privilege of meeting Chris, but Flintster and I felt it appropriate to toast to him on the Columbia summit.
Attachments
Columbia_memorial.jpg
Columbia_memorial.jpg (169.11 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

Chris' tragedy weighed heavily on my mind as I ascended the NW couloir on Crestone Peak today. For some reason I halfway expected to see his name in the summit register but when it wasn't there it really hit me. :( RIP Chris. My climb today was dedicated to you...
• It's by getting away from life that we can see it most clearly... It's by depriving ourselves of the myriad of everyday experiences that we renew our appreciation for them...I've learned from my experiences in the mountains that I love life. — Dave Johnston
• Mountains are not climbed merely to reach a geographical location — but as personal and spiritual challenges to the participants. — David Stein
Hunter
14ers: 35 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hunter »

With every loss I read about I am affected in some way. We were up there the past two days and this tragedy weighed heavy on my heart while hiking. Although I never knew Chris I feel some kind of connection sharing the same passion for hiking and having been up there. While I know there is nothing I can say or do to ease the pain Taylor and his family are going through, know my hearts and prayers are with you. Paul, through time I hope you can somehow work through this and are able to return to your passion for hiking. My heart goes out to all of you.
My sincerest apologies,
Hunter

May we all continue to be respectful to both Chris' family and to Paul.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."
audiotom
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by audiotom »

Taylor, may God comfort you and your family in your time of grief, and make you whole again.

As you look out over the mountain landscapes may your soul be filled with loving memories of Chris
tehchad
14ers: 13  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tehchad »

scottfarish wrote:We never had the privilege of meeting Chris, but Flintster and I felt it appropriate to toast to him on the Columbia summit.
This photo is awesome on so many levels.

Taylor, I feel how weak and fruitless any words of mine might be to kill the feeling of loss. I never knew him, but I've seen his engagement here as well as the impact he's had (this thread having 10 pages of people pouring out to you.) I love the ideas that people are jumping on with the memorial climbs, etc. It seems that you've got a big family here ready to love on you, bc Chris gave and encouraged here. I find it funny, odd, and awesome how people are attracted to those who give. Giving is one of the things reciprocated very well. Lastly, I would encourage you to ask here. I know the memorial happy hours will come, Rob will turn into Rob and Chris. But maybe something for you. This appears to me to be a great community here and I, for one, am sticking around. Who knows, we might make a few more friends. :-J
ctlee
14ers: 19  4 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ctlee »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Taylor...I hope you can find some comfort in the kind words of this community.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow-learn as if you were to live forever-----Mahatma Gandhi
awake
14ers: 20 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (3)

Post by awake »

I want to also offer my deepest sympathies. I spoke with Chris once and he seemed like a great guy. As is evident from the comments here, he was very loved and a truly remarkable man. These events definitely make one aware how precious every moment of life. Taylor, I will offer up some prayers for Chris, and for you and the rest of Chris's family and friends that God may provide comfort in this time of mourning.
axbauer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by axbauer »

Thank you again, all. I feel your warm embrace around myself and my family.
tsizz
14ers: 19 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tsizz »

I'm so sorry for your loss, Taylor. Please take comfort in God's love, the love and support of your family, and this community as well...we are here for you. R.I.P Chris
Moraine14
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Moraine14 »

The mountains are my "church" - the one place I find a sense of peace. So even though I haven't had the opportunity yet to meet many people on this site, each loss of a person who shared the love for the mountains saddens me deeply, and it's something I always struggle to grasp. To Taylor, and everyone else for whom these losses are even closer to your hearts, you are in my thoughts and prayers. May the celebration of their lives and the connection shared by members of this community help bring you comfort in these difficult times.